Sale today!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donnylove

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Billings, MT
So here in Billings, Albertson's has a sale this week on beef roasts. I've been waiting for chuck roast to go on sale. It's been $3.49/lb for quite a while, but this week there are various types on sale for $1.99/lb. My question is which of these three is best for smoking low and slow:

1. 7 bone chuck roast
2. sirloin tip roast
3. chuck cross rib roast

Any input would be appreciated.

I'm smoking a 17-lb turkey tomorrow beer can style. It's brining as we speak. I'll post Q View as I go. Happy smoking!

The chuck roast would be great, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

All 3 are GREAT at the price...if you can get good marbling, I personally like the chuck cross rib roast, but man, you can't go wrong no matter what you do. Sirloin tip is really good seared, then smoked...

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll get a couple of each and compare for myself . . .

Sirloin tip is pretty tender to start with - you may end up awful dry on a long slow smoke. I did one a couple of weeks ago and just took it to medium rare

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...=farnsworth%27

Cheers,
icon_smile.gif

I've yet to try a roast, but being a chef for some years I now do it as a hobby as my line of work changed for some years now I'll experiment with this.

My goal will be to cook this roast to a consistancy of like a beef stew meat texture, you know how the meat simmered for hours and then you have that fall off the bone texture so to speak, kind of like braised short ribs, that's the key I think is to smoke it, then braise it.

What I'm gonna do when I do a chuck roast smoke is marinate the roast overnight or even 2 nights, in a light teriyaki type of sauce, this will serve 2 purposes, 1 it will be a brine to tenderize and also add that island flavor. Smoke it for a good 3-4 hours (use a drip pan,save the drippings), then put into a pan and add the drippings and I think I'll do half teri sauce and half beef stock or chicken broth in the pan to about half way of the beef, cover it up real good and back on the smoker, keeping the temps around 250 for another 3-4 hours or so, when done I invision the internal temp of the meat to be that of pulled pork or beef around the 180-200 range, and at that point I'm hoping the meat will be that fall off the bone, stew soft like texture rather than a full x? hours of dry smoke and the meat be on the dry side. I believe a long chuck smoke will be on the dry side, nothing wrong with that, cut it/pull it, sauce it and have a feast, It's just the nature of that cut of meat vs a brisket which has a blanket of fat and marble to keep it moist even on a long smoke.

That's my 2 cents of my 1st chuck roast smoke. It will be a new one for me and the times of the smoke and braise will vary with the size of the beef. But you get the idea, I'm shooting for tender/juicy smoke/braised beef. I'll post it up when I do that.

With that said, any one of those beef cuts will do you fine, however as mentioned always look for the one with the most marble or fat, that will help keep the beef juicy.

Like I hear on this forum when doing ribs they say 3-2-1 method the 2 being the braising part of it, I'll figure out what those numbers will be when I do my roast, think it will be somewhere of a 4/5-4/5? (smoke hours/braise hours) we'll see.

Hope it comes out good, don't forge the pics.

I personally would go with the chuck cross rib roast (English or Boston roast) as it is leaner than the chuck but not as lean as the sirloin tip, more marbling being from the forequarter, more tender and will have more flavor. The sirloin tip is from the hindquarter and is best used for medium to medium-rare; otherwise would be too dry. The chuck has great marbling but part of it (the chuck eye) I'd steal for steak night, wouldn't leave much left (lol!). Chuck eyes are our favorite steak cut; they're right next to the ribeye but ½ the price and tennnn-der!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky