safe to use

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrbeef

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 17, 2015
SE Iowa
So I found a box of polish sausage seasoning with natural casings that is probably 4 yrs old That hasn't been opened and also found pepper snack stick seasoning with collagen casings that has been opened. Found them in storage where it has gotten in the high 80's. I was gonna throw them away unless anyone thinks it would still be ok. The seasoning feels and looks fine but the natural casing has a light tan color to it.

So I found a box of polish sausage seasoning with natural casings that is probably 4 yrs old That hasn't been opened and also found pepper snack stick seasoning with collagen casings that has been opened. Found them in storage where it has gotten in the high 80's. I was gonna throw them away unless anyone thinks it would still be ok. The seasoning feels and looks fine but the natural casing has a light tan color to it.
I would not take a chance with the natural casings,seaoning may still be good.Buy new casings.IMHO

Collagen casing should have been refrigerated after opening so cut your losses don't waste good meat.IMHO

Richie 

Don't waste the Meat. Ground seasonings have no more than a one year self life if sealed. If the casing has seen humidity changes, not in air tight packaging, are probably not any good. Not worth messing with...JJ

Yeah that's what I figured, I'm gonna actually throw the seasoning aswell. Fresh is always best imo. Thanks for the reply.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky