Safe to reuse chicken marinade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

va_connoisseur

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
DC Metro - Northern Virginia
I have marinaded some chicken in pineapple juice and want to reuse the juices/spices as a baste. If boil the marinade will it be safe to use as a baste?

I'm planning on firing up the WSM around 1400, any assistance would be helpful. Thanks.

Good Question???

I tried reducing some meat marinade, but the blood turned it brown.

It was probably safe, but looked horrible.

How long did you marinade and did you keep it in the fridge?

Some resident safety experts will be by to help

Todd

Reactions: michael ark
Va_Con, Todd is correct. The dissolved Chicken proteins in the marinade will discolor it when you boil it...So, for both of you and anybody else interested...It is Perfectly Safe to heat and Sterilize used marinades...To do this without or minimum Murkiness, Heat the marinade slowly over Medium heat. As it hits 150*F the dissolved Proteins will begin to coagulate and float to the top. Continue heating and skimming the Scum that floats up. Bring the Marinade up to a SIMMER but not a Boil. Simmer for 5 or more minutes to Sterilize and/or Reduce to be used as a Baste or Sauce.

Todd, bringing your Marinade directly to a Boil Coagulates and Mixes the Proteins before they can be removed. All our Mom's used the above technique to make their Chicken Soup crystal clear and delicious...

Have "I" reached Expert Status yet?...
super.gif
...JJ

super.gif
...JJ
A     long...long...long   time ago my friend...  We know what your are.... the rest of the world don't need to be told if they can't figure it out... JMNSHO

(just my not so humble opinion)....... (as usual)    Dave

Va_Con, Todd is correct. The dissolved Chicken proteins in the marinade will discolor it when you boil it...So, for both of you and anybody else interested...It is Perfectly Safe to heat and Sterilize used marinades...To do this without or minimum Murkiness, Heat the marinade slowly over Medium heat. As it hits 150*F the dissolved Proteins will begin to coagulate and float to the top. Continue heating and skimming the Scum that floats up. Bring the Marinade up to a SIMMER but not a Boil. Simmer for 5 or more minutes to Sterilize and/or Reduce to be used as a Baste or Sauce.

Todd, bringing your Marinade directly to a Boil Coagulates and Mixes the Proteins before they can be removed. All our Mom's used the above technique to make their Chicken Soup crystal clear and delicious...

super.gif
...JJ

Learned something new today
icon14.gif

I try not to do as my Mother did!

She was really a terrible cook!

TJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky