Safe thread sealant for grease trap drain pipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xxsmokedoutxx

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys,
I am doing a bit of maintenance on my smoker, and wanted to fix a leaking issue. My grease trap drain pipe seems to be leaking through the threads. I've tried Teflon tape, but it still leaks. I don't know if it is safe to use pipe dope, since the first set of threads are in the cooking chamber. Does anyone have any suggestions?

From a safety standpoint, it simply doesn't matter. Your meat doesn't touch the threads does it? I don't understand why Teflon tape doesn't work, it should. Try dope or joint compound if the meat doesn't touch.

Reactions: DemonPit
I figured using the wrong thing could let off gases with the heat involved. The meat will be only about 2 1/2 inches from the threads, so I would rather be safe than sorry. I'll try the dope and see if that works. Thanks.

Don't know what type of nipple you are using for your "pipe"....but brass threads are for the most part  self sealing.

My guess then would be that the leak is happening at the nipple where it enters the cooker. Metals of different thickness and material will expand and contract at different rates. Might try going with brass nipple and valve. Plumbers putty and pipe dope both have solvents. 

My guess then would be that the leak is happening at the nipple where it enters the cooker. Metals of different thickness and material will expand and contract at different rates. Might try going with brass nipple and valve. Plumbers putty and pipe dope both have solvents. 
There is no nipple. It's a 1"steel pipe that goes straight to the baffle plate/grease trap straight through the cooking chamber wall. I did put RTV around this section though.

Dealing with a leaking smoker can be quite a hassle. It's good that you've tried Teflon tape, but if it's still leaking, you might want to consider using a food-grade silicone sealant. Make sure it's specifically labeled as safe for food contact.

You've already tried Teflon tape, which is a common go-to solution. Since that didn't fully resolve the issue, I'd recommend considering a food-grade silicone sealant. These are specifically designed for applications where they might come into contact with food, so they should be safe for your smoker.It's crucial to prioritize safety and use materials that won't release harmful substances when exposed to heat. Silicone sealant is known for its high-temperature resistance, which makes it a suitable choice.If you're still uncertain or need further assistance, you might want to reach out to professionals who specialize in waterproofing, like https://rooterworx.ca/waterproofing. They could provide valuable insights or solutions tailored to your specific situation.

Last edited:
Maybe a silly question but are you wrapping the teflon tape the right direction? Seen guys wrap it wrong and have leaks. also enough. I wrap 4-6 wraps depending on application.

Last edited:
I hope he got it fixed . Leaking grease for 7 years would be one heck of a mess .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky