Safe metals for mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmanic

Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Hey all-
New here, just got an SNP for Christmas, so it looks like I'm graduating from my vertical water smoker.

Anyway, I've read enough to know I want to make some mods before I cure this thing, so I have a couple of questions about metals I want to use.

My local hardware store's selection of steel plate includes stuff labeled as weld steel.
I assume if this is safe for welding, it's safe for use as a baffle- right?
I'll steer clear of the galvanized stuff for sure.

Also for the charcoal basket, I have an old grill-top veggie basket that I think is stainless- is there a way I can tell its stainless and not some plated metal? Tried a magnet and it does stick, but that doesn't say much I guess.

Thanks for your thoughts

The metal sold at the hardware store is your basic run of the mill all purpose stuff, ok for welding.
As far as the stainless, yes magnet will stick to some stainless. If it has a brushed appearance, like your kitchen sink, its probably stainless.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky