Safe Chicken Temperature Theory

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geek with fire

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 5, 2007
Rural out-skirts of Sedalia, MO
So, I am sitting here at work looking at a zip top bag of sliced chicken breast from a recent beer can chicken cook (which is quite fabulous might I add), resting on the corner of my desk. As I'm tool lazy to walk down the hall to the company fridge, I have convinced myself that since I pulled it out of the 35 degree fridge at 7:30 this morning, and plan on ingesting it more than 4 hours, given my office is within the 40-140 degree danger zone, I will be safe and puke free.

That got me to thinking, yet even further: Since it takes the body 20-25 hours to digest and process most foods, and since our bodies are in dangers zones at all times (and if your not, you won't be thinking of chicken), what keeps us from getting the "3rd eye plague" that the USDA threatens us with? I know the standard response is the stomach acids. But I contend that if they claim that no amount of high temperature cooking would kill the evil plague once past the 4 hour in 40-140, that stomach acid doesn't have a chance.

Perhaps I need to reduce my coffee intake and/or get back to work.

Get back to work Josh!...lol
My son says some of his Jr. high buddies take cooked chicken breasts for lunch & I think, "is that safe".....They leave home @ 7:00 and eat them @ 12:00. The lunches sit in their backpacks with no refrigeration. Hmmmmm....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky