Rytek's Sausage Book - Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

checkerfred

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Alabama
I bought the Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing book by Rytek Kutas....I have some questions for you sausage experts and people who have this book.

What do you guys use for a drying room/chamber?  Lots of his recipes call for holding the sausage at 50-55 degress with RH of 70% or so for a certain time.

Also, have you guys found there to be conflicting or incomplete information in the book?  For example, his dried sausage stick recipe on page 355, he says to hold it in a dry room at 55 degrees...however he doesn't say for how long and how much humidity should be in there.  Then on page 365 for Semi Dry Kabanosy, he says at the end to cure them at 60-65 deg. and 70-80 % humidity.  But in the section on Drying Rooms, he says to use 45-55 deg and 70-72% humidity. 

On page 366 at the end, he says to take out of the smoker and cool overnight...then says to put the sausage in a dense smoke...He doesn't list the temp!

I am new to this stuff so I'm not sure how to read his recipes sometimes....I know temp/humidity effects the sausage so when it's not listed, like when he says to hold at room temperature overnight, there can be lots of variables.....where I am, the humidity is high, while someone else may live in a low humid area....same with temp, I keep my room temp higher than other people may keep theirs....so how do you know what to do?

Hopefully this isn't confusing...I am a new to this and wanna make some good sausages soon!  Any other books and souces to recommend would be appreciated too!

Temps and humidity will very depending on the diameter of the casing and grind of the meat plus a number of other factors. If you are new to sausage making I'd suggest you start with fresh sausage then try some cured and cooked recipes.  Dry cured sausage is not for beginners.

Most hobbiest convert small refrigerators for there curing chambers.

Here's a page to help explain why Mr Kutas might suggests different things for different sausage.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-making/drying  

also for more insight into sausage making you'll want to read this book by Stanley and Adam Marianski.

The Marianski books will give you most of the info you are wanting..

They have several.. all good.

Craig

Maybe i can help with this.

When he states a R/H of 70% that is done to reduce the green weight of the sausage. Thats the moistness in the meat. This can be done in the fridge after the sausage has been smoked. Just leave the sausage uncovered for 2-3 days and it will start to dry....Easy and no need for temp or humi controls.

On page 355 he is saying after the smoke to hold them in a room at 50-55* This is called Blooming which is just a fancy term for Cooling (really no need for R/H here). This stage of blooming will darken the sausage and make the smoke more intense. If you added any extra paprika when you did the mix it will darken in the Blooming rest. This Bloom (pg 355) is just normal room temp and Bloom is anywhere from 1 to 2 hours before you fridge. If you just follow the ingredients and the smoking procedure you will be fine.

NOTE: That in both recipes he uses cure #1

Page 365 IMHO I would not worry about the R/H until you perfect the pg 355 first.

And yes there are many conflicting paragraphs in the book, Thats why i shelved it a few years ago.

Hope this helps some.

Temps and humidity will very depending on the diameter of the casing and grind of the meat plus a number of other factors. If you are new to sausage making I'd suggest you start with fresh sausage then try some cured and cooked recipes.  Dry cured sausage is not for beginners.

Most hobbiest convert small refrigerators for there curing chambers.

Here's a page to help explain why Mr Kutas might suggests different things for different sausage.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-making/drying  

also for more insight into sausage making you'll want to read this book by Stanley and Adam Marianski.

Well answered Dan................
icon14.gif

icon_cool.gif

I also agree with Dan and his answer. Now you will find some contradictions in Rytek's book. You have to remember that it was wrote along time ago and some of the ways have changed. To me the Charcuterie books are better. I haven't read the book that Craig is talking about but he knows what he's talking about too.

As Dan said, I would get some experience with fresh and cured smoked sausages before jumping into drying. 

Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks for the info....yeah I plan to start with either a smoke sausage or a semi-dry sausage recipe...I found a smoked venison summer sausage recipe in his book and a few smoked/cooked sausage recipes I'd like to try....I'm just trying to learn/read as much as I can about the dry curing process...but I know that you have to do stuff to learn too

another question I have about the book is that he mentions mixing the spices with water...but never says how much water to use....anyone have a guideline to go by?

Ditto with 1 cup H2O per 5 lbs and mix dry into water so ya dont have clumps.

Thanks Starch!  will check it out....right now I'm working on just smoked sausages but hope to eventually move to dry cured stuff

This is the bible all of them all I believe...

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing Michael Ruhlman

This one as with some other books out there have mistakes in them, it is hard on people like yourselves who do not work with these products/item wishing to make good wholesome sausage only to have thing go drastically wrong and wonder why

This one as with some other books out there have mistakes in them, it is hard on people like yourselves who do not work with these products/item wishing to make good wholesome sausage only to have thing go drastically wrong and wonder why

What do you think is the best book out there?

I have both Rytek and Ruhlman books and read other books and articles on sausage making, curing, etc. I have found it a good practice when looking towards a new procedure to compare the processes in each book. I look for the common information first and then look for differences - especially warnings about problems with quality and safety.

Probably the best way to learn these skills would be to "stage" or intern in Italy, France, or Spain!! But, I'm sure almost all of us don't have the time or resources to do that!! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky