Rust Damage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmedic25

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 25, 2006
North Georgia
They make heat paint that you can get for that..

my question is why is the stack and firebox on the same end of the smoker?
Won't that effect the smoking process some?
I like it...

The firebox is on the stack end because the lang is a "reverse flow" smoker. There is a steel plate welded in the bottom of the smoker. It creates a "tunnel" between the floor and the bottom of the smoker which are both solid. There is a small hole on the opposite end of the firebox where the smoke enters the cooking chamber then travels past the meat.
Justin

Nice lookin rig. A wire bruch and some sandpaper should do the trick if it's just some surface rust. If it's deep and weakened the wall, it may require some metal work. From the pics, it looks like it will respond to some TLC.

To much rust, probably got cancer real bad!! P.M. me the guy's phone # and i'll chew him out for trying to sell that junk to you!!

If you buy it you can take a pointed auto body hammer and tap the pitted parts if the point doesnt go thru you should be ok. I would just wire wheel on a drill or grinder and knock the rust off. Various hardware stores sell high temp stove paint.(wood stove touch-up) or if you want to get adventurous you can go to an automotive store and buy engine paint and paint designs on there. Remember only paint the outside. SMOKE PAINT TASTES LIKE CRAP MAN!!!

31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

If you get the smoker and have access to a 4 1/2" hand grinder, my suggestion is go to a welding supply store and get a wheel that has what looks like sand paper layered around the outside inch and a half of the bottom of the disc. I call them blender wheels others call them flap wheels. We have been using them at work to remove flaking paint and rust from our 1000 gal. anhydrous ammonia nurse tanks. Don't forget to wear your safety glass/goggles as it will throw particals of paint. As I recall the cost in my area is in the 13-15 dollar range. One wheel should do the outside of the smoker with no problem. This type wheel will also blend any pits that are on the exterior of the smoker to the point that you would have to look to find them unless they are real deep. Just my .02 worth and hope this will help you.

If you can inspect it before buying ... do so, otherwise be careful!
Also, price is a big consideration ... if cheap enough, it may be worth the risk ....

My father in law owns a body shop. I bet his boys could have that baby smooth as a baby's tush. I guess its just like metalworking a car.
Justin

Well, there you go. No bondo though!

It sure doesn't look hurt.

Shortone's suggestion looked like a go if you are inclined to do it yourself. Then squirt it with high temp. paint made for wood stoves, etc.
Or, you could take it to a sandblaster and have them blast and primer it for you, then do the high temp. paint yourself.
If it were me I'd paint the tank silver for heat retention.
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

Here we go again.
PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif

I just got done building a backyard smoker. I was really pleased with the paint that I used. The paint code that I used is (black 270) it is a 1200* high temp paint. Here is the link to it.

http://www.stovepaint.com/Products/Products.asp?ID=1

I called the company and got a gallon. It was $30.75 and shipping was $27.00. The shipping was so much do to it being flammable. I have done the seasoning and one cook on it and it seems that it is going to hold up just fine.

great looking smoker. that pic is after how many cooks? and where do you live btw? (not nosey just wondering if you are on a coast w/ inshore salty winds & say gulf coast humidity)- that really makes a difference

i followed the link & saw- not recommended for..
immersion
cooking surfaces
(lack of better terms)firebox use.

but then again noone(paint manuf.) will recommend that.
chances are on the coast of the gulf it will rust a bit but thickness & upkeep will take care of most of that- just make sure you dump your ashes after each cook -especially before a rain & you will be ok-depending on the surface rust - repaint & (sounds weird) oil up the outside a bit(the firebox). ash+salt air+rain=rust times 10.that pit should last you 10 years @ least. people here may think it crazy advice but i've lived & operated a steel hulled shrimpboat on the coast of texas for over 20 yrs & we never degrease the engine room & it's the most rustfree space on board..just like yer well seasoned smokechamber.

I'm confused, you say use silver paint for heat retention? It has been my experience that black retains heat and silver or white reflects heat ...
Perhaps you or someone else can help me understand this!

Too late. I'm started.
It is a really hard concept for some folks to understand, BUT-
Flat black allows infrared radiation (heat) to pass through very easily. Silver or white reflect infrared (as you said), as do polished surfaces. That is why propane tanks are silver or white, to reflect external heat and keep them cooler.
Now, visualize this - there are two sides to a coat of paint, one you can see, the other side is against whatever is painted with the paint AND IS THE SAME COLOR. A coat of silver paint on a smoker will reflect infrared, both from the outside (from the sun for example) and from the INSIDE, from your fire - that heat is reflected back into the smoker. Therefore it helps retain that heat inside your smoker and helps you use less fuel. Black, on the other hand, allows infrared to readily pass through it. So the heat inside your smoker is passing right through to the atmosphere.
Joe Q. Smoker painted the very first smoker built black like his wood stove, and they have been black ever since. It was passed down from all those wood stoves that were black so they would radiate as much heat as possible. Wood stoves have fire in them and are black, smokers have fire in them and, therefore, should also be black, right? Wrong.
Go here and read about infrared theory -

http://www.x20.org/library/thermal/infrared.htm

Enjoy.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky