Rub mistake. Too muck paprika.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smksignals

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Gilbert AZ
Well I made a mistake making my first rub. I got this recipe @ http://www.smoking-meat.com/rib-rub-recipes.html.

Best Rib Rub
1/3 cup paprika
3 tablespoons dry mustard
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground basil
2 tablespoons red pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper

I wanted to make a double batch. I doubled the paprika to 2/3 cup, but forgot to double the rest of the recipe. Unfortunately, I remembered this AFTER I lathered up the butt and ribs with mustard and the rub... LOL ...

Well, whats the consensuses out there ??? Anybody ever over paprika their meat, and how was it ????

- Kurt T.

paprika dosn't have much of any flavor its mostly for that nice pretty red BBQ color

I'm not sure it would hurt anything, unless you have the high dollar, imported stuff, there's not much flavor to it, use it mostly for color
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

The only problem is that it kinda makes your bark grainy/sandy, just wipe it off and toss in some more spices, it’ll balance out. I always use a little less than they recommend, course I use that good sweet Hungarian paprika, and I hear that the hot spanish paprika can get a little bitter if ya use too much!
icon_wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky