RTV red sealant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gwanger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
N. Illinois
Is there temp you need for proper curing of rtv,I have put my smoker together and I am chomping at bit to close some gaps b4 I can season and start smoking on it. It is 36 deg. in garage.

Usually 70ish on the low side....but after the RTV is in place, heat helps it cure faster. I just did a mod. on my smokehouse and upon completion I fired the smokehouse up and ran it to 275*; no smoke. This set the RTV.

Just be sure you are using high temp silicone-not all red is high temp.

Better check the manufacture's website for directions. Most cure is based on (temp)(time). Lower temp means longer cure time. I'm sure that as long as it is above freezing the rtv will cure, just may take longer.

Usually 70ish on the low side....but after the RTV is in place, heat helps it cure faster. I just did a mod. on my smokehouse and upon completion I fired the smokehouse up and ran it to 275*; no smoke. This set the RTV.

Just be sure you are using high temp silicone-not all red is high temp.
red, food grade, 650 deg.Thanks for quick reply

Here's a thought...
You could heat the metal where you want to seal using a blow drier. The metal will act as a heat sink. Apply the sealer, then use the blow drier to keep it warm for a little while. Seal all your cracks, then heat the smoker up with no smoke.
If sealing the ceiling, I would not go above say 175~200* so the sealer will not sag.

Here's a thought...
You could heat the metal where you want to seal using a blow drier. The metal will act as a heat sink. Apply the sealer, then use the blow drier to keep it warm for a little while. Seal all your cracks, then heat the smoker up with no smoke.
If sealing the ceiling, I would not go above say 175~200* so the sealer will not sag.
I will try out your advice bc I am tired of waitind for it to get warm enough to apply. I have a heat gun and will use low setting. Apply enough heat till the sealant skins over. Thnx

:D

Silicone will skin over in one hour and fully cure in 24 hours under normal conditions. Allow more time for cold or very dry conditions

Last edited:
765E25BD-975B-4906-BC61-04CB637B82F8.png
7CBB386F-E9FA-4CF0-9B2B-CF80CBA63CFD.png
I used this stuff off amazon works great.

I used between firebox and smoker. No issues with leaks.
I have dyna-glo smoker, I had to seal where fire box and smoking chamber met, had 1/8' gap all around used the red sealer you have pictured above.I have no more leaks, the red is safe for food as stated on tube. Please read instructs to make sure. you can speed cure w/heat gun

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky