Rookie's first smoke on a home built smoker

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by dieselbear, Aug 30, 2009.

1. dieselbear

dieselbear Fire Starter

This was a first for everything. Smoking/Cutting/Welding/Planning you name it.
    It is the mini-reverse flow wood/charcoal smoker. I found it originally posted by SmokinSteve.

I got my idea for this one from YouTube videos, this forum, other forums, and from a buddy who has a similar design. It is nothing new. It was/is fun inexpensive and most important, I learned a ton. I learned my welding and cutting skills need help !! I learned that I should have measured. I learned a lot about heat, how steel bends, melts, and how messy Flux Cored welding wire is. I did not plan anything. It was all in my head. I improvised as I went, and used all scrap, except for the fire box which is 3/16" plate. I used my Hobart 125 EZ which I purchased in May of 2009 and kicked off my welding hobby. I also used my Dewalt Chop saw which followed the welder purchase, 4inch grinder, and my Hobart Med. duty Oxy/Ace torch kit I purchased in July 2009. It looks exactly like I planned in my head, except the plan I had in my head was beautiful,, Some of you may have heard of a UDS (upright drum smoker)...this is my URFS (ugly reverse flow smoker).
    The smoking part was a blast. I wanted a inexpensive piece of meat.
    So I did a fatty,,,I learned a lot about how this smoker reacts to my air vents opening and closing.
    Enjoy the pics and video..
    http://picasaweb.google.com/fenderax...eat=directlink
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice work on the smoker.
    Not to mention that fattie, great job. I love the shot of the cheese oozing in the last pic.
    [​IMG]

3. hemi

hemi Smoking Fanatic

Other than being a bit small , ain't NOTHIN' wrong with it.. Hemi..
    [​IMG]

4. rld

rld Newbie

[​IMG]
    Very interesting.....

5. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very very nice and incredible job to boot. You did all this wil no plans and no tape measure thats one heck of a job. Looks awesome. Then it all works now thats a real accompolishment there. That fattie looks fabulous and that cheese oozing almost looks staged but I know it's not I've smoked them before. You definetly deserve [​IMG][​IMG]a load of points for sure. Great job