Rookie smoke daddy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bstutes

Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
New go smoking and this forum...
My name is butch and I love wood working. I make cutting boards and custom furniture. A lot of scrap wood great for smoking is generated and a shame to throw it away... I love smoked food so planning out me a smoke house. Right now just have a green egg grill but want something capable of doing more tha a small brisket... Wish me luck as I move Ho the construction phase in the coming weeks. I plan on building what I call an outhouse smoker. One about shape and size of an old outhouse,

Welcome from SC, Butch. This is a great site with lots of folks who are always ready to share their ideas and tips. All you have to do is ask and keep reading. Don't make any mistakes in the middle of the night if the smoker is too close to the outhouse.

Good luck with your build and keep on smokin', Joe

ok here we go...  my plans are as follows.  If anyone has suggested alterations please let me know.

First going to build a 3 course center block base for my "outhouse" smoke house.  On top of it will be a frame of Pine boards and covered with tongue and groove 6" pine.  The outhouse will be about 40" square.  I will have a grill smoker attachment (accessory for many grills) as my fire box.  It will be about 3' away on a concrete pad and connected with pipe (still trying to decide what I will be best pipe to use and how to connect).  Currently planning to weld the pipe to the fire box.

My brother has one similar and he is pleased with the results he is getting.

Since I am a wood worker I have access to a lot of scrap.  Cherry will likely be my first choice but have walnut, oak, hickory, maple, ash readily available.  Pear and pecan is also readily available.

I love smoked salmon so that will be on top of my list to do once up and running.

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a nice day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky