Rookie from Chicago

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coco

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Chicago
Hello all! I have to first say this forum is fantastic! I've been lurking for a good two weeks now. I have a brother in-law in Austin, TX and have been spoiled during my trips there with good BBQ. I grill all the way through the winters here, and decided I needed to "step it up". I picked up a Brinkmann propane smoker, and should have it assembled and seasoned before the end of the week. Living 3 blocks outside of city limits...my space is limited, and I think the Brinkmann will be a good starter unit. Plus, it's mostly my wife and I, so big feasts are rare.

I do a lot of photography on the side, and I can guarantee a high level of qview. :) I don't have any of my own creations to share yet, but here's a sample of some qview from a recent trip to Dallas. It was eating at Baker's Ribs, walking in and smelling the smoke which convinced me I needed to buy a smoker.

Baker's Ribs, Dallas, TX:

img_3444.jpg

Looking forward to sharing my own qview next time!

Well coco, glad you decided to join the family. Plenty of folk here to get advice from and to bounce questions off of. Looks like you got a handle on the q-view. Looking forward to the first posting of your own q-view creation!

Enjoy!

Welcome Coco!

I also "Lurked" before I jumped in, and never looked back!

These guys are GREAT and will soon have you impressing the Brother In-Law with your own "Chicago Style BBQ".

Todd

Welcome to the SMF, sounds like you'll be in for more fun. It's all good my friend.

First off there Welcome to SMF COCO. I'm real sure you wouldn't be going back to Baker's Ribs know more. Cause you will soon learn how to smoke them your self and believe me it will look and taste alot better then that stuff you have snapped a picture of there. So you say that you have been lurking in the dark now come on out and let's get you smoking some real Q here. I would recommend that you look up and take the 5-day E-course it's free and will give you the basics of some reallt fine Q too. So now just go out there and grab someting to smoke and if you have any questions you just post them here and we will answer them for you so enjoy and :
Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to smf Coco, from one fellow Illinoisan to another, and I'm a newbie also, you're gonna learn darn near anything you want to know about smoking food, this site is full of the greatest people, great ideas, and unbelievable recipes, they're gonna have you drooling from the qview, so protect your keyboard, and clothes, trust me.

[font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.[/font]

[font=&quot]For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.[/font]
[font=&quot]Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourse [/font]

[font=&quot]I Would Highly Suggest Reading these posts on Food Safety by bbally. [/font]

[font=&quot]This thread will tell you basically everything you need to know and the man explaining it is[/font]
[font=&quot]both a ServSafe Instructor and a HACCP Instructor.[/font]
http://tinyurl.com/ygg8gfb

http://tinyurl.com/yjavfkj

[font=&quot]Here you can get the 2009 USDA Food Safety Guide from his site.[/font]
http://tinyurl.com/ykq5p9t

[font=&quot]How to post Qview to Forum:[/font]

[font=&quot]When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...[/font]

[font=&quot]Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...[/font]

[font=&quot]Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.[/font]

[font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial[/font]

http://tinyurl.com/yjm4xkh

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Welcome to SMF Coco. Glad to have you step out from the shadows to bask in the sunlight of the TBS. Once you manufacture your own projects, (smoked meat), you won't go back. I am looking forward to your qview. Good luck & Enjoy your stay.

Welcome Coco, I too am from the Chicagoland area, out in the SW burbs. I have been smoking meat over 30 years, but still find great info here and I just started making my own sausage so I stopped by here for that info and have found a ton more.

Enjoy and looking forward to hearing from you.

I'm in Oak Park.

Thanks for the response everyone! Well...it's been too busy a week, but I got the smoker out of my trunk, and assembled. I hope to get it seasoned an evening this week, and then a "test smoke" maybe on Sunday.

Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky