• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rolling sidebox smoker...

Regimental Fabrication

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2020
Well, the trailer mounted smoker has been put on hold, due to an unforseen skateboarding incident on the part of the customer.

Since I figure it would be easier to store it in subassemblies until he is ready to pick it up, work on it has temporarily ceased. What to do with my time?

I got it! Time to build MY grill/smoker!

I happen to have just the right amount of 1/8" and 1/4" laying around to play with. What better time to experiment...

Attachments

Regimental Fabrication

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2020
Just waiting on door gasket materials and handle springs to arrive.

In the meantime, I'll be handling the exhaust, figuring out a latch setup, painting the outside, and seasoning the insides. My target it to be able to use it Labor Day weekend.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
You are very talented!
I could only wish I had a shop like yours!
Al

Regimental Fabrication

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2020
You are very talented!
I could only wish I had a shop like yours!
Al
Once again, thank you for the compliments.

I am definitely happy with my home shop, and my work workshop is a couple levels up, but I really do feel like I'm cheating with the waterjet.

I'm beyond impressed when I see gents doing equally clean work with an O/A torch. I need more practice with them. I think about what our fathers and grandfathers were building, machining, welding, and can't help but think that my time would be better served sweeping up their shops after watching them work magic.

Time, practice, and some pain. LOL

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like Chaos6 it is appreciated.

Warren

Regimental Fabrication

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2020
Spent the last few days kicking it down the road and making progress.

I'm now waiting on my doorstep like a puppy. My spring handles are due today. After that I will begin to season it, do a couple of dry runs, and then comes the first cook.

I still have to set up the rotisserie, but that might wait until later. We'll see.

Attachments

Regimental Fabrication

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2020
One month and a few days of side work, and we are done (generally). I'll deal with the rotisserie this weekend, but otherwise, with the arrival of the handles, we are good to go!

Tomorrow morning I'll begin seasoning and dry runs, should be cooking tomorrow evening.

Attachments

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.