Roasted Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

homebrew & bbq

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
NE Nebraska
Yeah... I know it's not smoked, but I didn't seem like there was much happening in the way of food pics today so I thought I'd post it anyway.

We have sleet and freezing rain here so smoking isn't an option today.

We roasted this bird at 500° for about 3 hours. Then shut off the oven and let it set for 20 more minutes without opening the door. Then let it set on the stovetop for about another half hour before cutting into it.

It's about 12 pounds. At the end the internal temp was 180° so I was a little worried it was going to be dry as dust. But apparently cooking it that fast with that high of heat doesn't give it time to dry out. We roasted it in a sheet pan and there wasn't hardly any juice in the pan. It was all still in the bird... even the breast meat is juicy!!

You can see that the legs got a little "over-caramelized" but it was only the exposed bone and not the meat.

100_0748.JPG

We carved all the meat off and the carcass is now in with some carrots, celery and onions making some stock.

I didn't "say" that right. The entire time (prep, roasting, and resting) was 3 hours. The turkey only was at 500° for about an hour and 40 minutes.

Sorry for the mix up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky