Roast Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

offbase

Original poster
Nov 28, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Does anyone have ideas/experience with beef rump roasts?  Have done a check roast and was only mildly pleased with the results.  Seemed to me that salt from the brine and rub were too much.  Any ideas on herbs to use or avoid.

If smoking, I wouldn't brine it at all. I'd simply rub it with what we call SPOG, Salt, Pepper, onion powder, Garlic powder. Onion and garlic granuals will work too. But, before I rubbed it, I'd slather it with plain yellow mustard, just a thin layer, you won't taste it later.

After rubbing, place it on/in a smoker preheated to 225-250 and let it bathe in the smoke until you hit an IT of around 150-160, then wrap in foil and let continue in the smoker until your IT is around 190 to slice, or 200-205 to shred. Oh, hickory or pecan smoke would really rock.

But, that's just me... :biggrin:

I did a rump roast this weekend. I wouldn't take it past 160. At 160 mine was medium well. You have to be careful with this cut as it has very little to no marbling and will dry out easily.

Sounds good to me.  Have used mustard before.  Any idea or guess on what a spicy mustard of horseradish mustard would do?  The foil wrapping is to retain moisture?

I did a rump roast this weekend. I wouldn't take it past 160. At 160 mine was medium well. You have to be careful with this cut as it has very little to no marbling and will dry out easily.
That's a very good point!  I don't slice when I smoke a roast, I generally shred.  

Sounds good to me.  Have used mustard before.  Any idea or guess on what a spicy mustard of horseradish mustard would do?  The foil wrapping is to retain moisture?
The foil wrap helps to steam the meat a bit and it also assists with moisture.

As for the mustard, I just use the plain yellow stuff for hotdogs.

That is what (the yellow mustard) I've used before.  I like the spicier varieties on my dogs.  I appreciate the input.  Going to do a couple rump roasts tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky