ribs read 140 degrees

Discussion in 'Pork' started by nickdentist, Sep 7, 2007.

1. I have just finished smoking my baby back ribs using the 2-2-1 method. smoked in the area of 225-245 the whole time. The temp of my ribs after the 5 hours is just 140. They look and feel done. Should i keep them on the smoker till they get to about 160? I dont want to risk over cooking them.

Thanks

2. gypsyseagod

gypsyseagod Master of the Pit OTBS Member

is that stock pit temp. gauge temp.,digi probe,or what else ?? do they have some tug or is the bone slipping ?

3. bigal

bigal Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Is your smoker temp correct/accurate? Your meat thermom?

I haven't done b-backs for a long time and never used a thermom on them. When I did them it was quite obvious they were done.

I would rather overdo than underdo. But then again, I only use a thermom on butts and brisket to give me an idea of when to start check'n to see if it's ready.

Error on the safe side. Wish I could help more. If you have a cooler spot on the smoker move them there till someone intelligent gets here. [​IMG]

4. redbrinkman1955

redbrinkman1955 Smoking Fanatic

I always use a electric therm and monitor while cooking I learned to go by temp instead of time
    Good Luck and Good smoking
    Redbrinkman1955[​IMG]

5. gypsyseagod

gypsyseagod Master of the Pit OTBS Member

almost impossible to use a thermo on ribs- fer me(& only me) i go by the pullback & tug test @ every stage. if yer thermo'ing them ya can be off by the thermo in the fat or hitting the bone.... i'd say tug a nub off the end & see how it tastes for you ... there ya go.. if thats good it's done, if not- foil fer an hour or oven @ 275 fer an hour just to make sure...