Ribs first attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richinct

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Well I made my first attempt at ribs. I used the 3-2-1 method. I am pretty happy with the results, they were not fall off the bone, a little tug to remove the meat. My other half liked them but they were a little spicy for her taste. I even cut down on the cayenne in the rub.

8343a438_Package.jpg

The package, $1.58 lb at Walmart, they were frozen, I wasn't sure what to expect since I never bought them this way....

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47902-dscf1280-small.jpg

Trimmed, ready for rub...

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47904-dscf1283-small.jpg

Rubbed, ready for the smoker...

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47903-dscf1282-small.jpg

The trimmings, what the heck do I do with all this stuff?

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47905-dscf1285-small.jpg

Trimmings I added the same rub from the ribs, the bigger pieces I smoked for about an hour then cooked all them together in a pan with apple juice for the rest of the smoke. I left some fatty pieces in for the 'official taster'....

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47908-dscf1290-small.jpg

Official taster

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47907-dscf1289-small.jpg

Of course it started raining...

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47906-dscf1288-small.jpg

Smoker loaded with the ribs and large trimmings on the top, smaller trimmings are in a foil pan below...

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47909-dscf1293-small.jpg

I think this is after the first 3 hours, ready for the foil...

I screwed up and hit the submit button before I finished the thread

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47913-dscf1299-small.jpg

DONE! I brushed them with Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce for the last 45mins...

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47914-dscf1300-small.jpg

Ready for slicing...

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47915-dscf1301-small.jpg

Ready to eat...

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47916-dscf1302-small.jpg

The trimmings, the juice is drained in this pic, I defatted it in the fridge and added it back, I pulled the meat apart, will make good sandwiches...

ichinct-albums-smoking-picture47917-dscf1303-small.jpg

Roasted potatos and onion side dish, I added some of the rib juice, gave them a nice flavor

It looks great nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I moved the post from the second thread into the first one so its all together

Last edited:
Rich,

You said you were new to smoking meat----It sure doesn't look like it!

Thanks for the Qview !

Bearcarver

Pineywoods, thanks for fixing my mistake.

I am new to smoking meat, but not new to cooking, I've always liked to cook. A big thank you to this website and all the tips from the members. The info here is invaluable, I have been reading threads and recipes for 2 days getting ready for this smoke. Been driving my wife nuts, she said "you are out of control" LOL

Thanks again

Great job on the smoke and the taters - looking good from here

Everyone seems interested in the 'official taster'  He is a mutt from the pound, shepard/lab mix? He was my wife's dog before we got married, she named him Sachem. I tease her and tell her I only married her for her dog, he is always happy when I am cooking. If he hears me say "whoops" he comes running with his eyes glued to the ground.

I don't know...........maybe you better do it all again and send some down to Texas. 
icon_smile.gif
   How'd you do the Taters?  It all looks deeeeelish.

The taters are simple:

Put some oil in the bottom of a foil pan, just enough to cover the bottom

Add some minced garlic, I use the stuff from a jar, couple of big spoon fulls

Cut up some onion in large chunks, quarters more or less to taste

Cut up some red or white potatos, skin on, into uniform chunks

Sprinkle some salt, pepper, paprika (for color) then toss together

You can add a few pats of butter

Cover the pan and cook on the grill on low heat for 1/2 hour or so till the potatos get tender, stirring occasoinally

You can crank up the heat after to brown them if you want to

This time I added some parmesian cheese and some of the rib juice. Gave them a nice flavor.

Reactions: mama's smoke
I'm smoking ribs this weekend and will definitely follow your tater recipe.  Trimmings from the spareribs will be used in beans later in the week.

great looking dog, food looks great too. My dachshund is the same way.  I go start cooking and she in under my feet looking for what ever I drop

I thank you, and my dog thanks you for all the compliments!

A little elaboration for those of you interested in the tater recipe. The recipe I gave you is the basic way I usually make them, they are usually a little drier,  but like I said this time I added some rib juice,( if I had to guess maybe 1/2 cup) so they came out a little wetter. I liked them that way. If they look to wet you can always uncover them and cook off the excess moisture. You can decide how you like them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky