Ribs and wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeremy

Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Southern MN
I have a newbie question! This will be my first time doing ribs. I'm doing baby backs so I will use the 2-2-1 method. I know every smoker is different but how often will I have replace the wood over the 5 hours time. Was just wondering how much you guys usaully use? Is it possible to over smoke ribs if you add to much wood?

by looking at your method of 2-2-1...

you will actually only be giving the the ribs 2 hours of smoke...2 hours of closed foil and one hour of open foil

so basically the amount of wood you use is dependant on how much your smoker burns in two hours

as for being possible to oversmoke ribs i am not real sure, one of the experts can help you here....

Jeremy, I'm pretty new too but record what I do. I bought apple wood chunks, the size of a big fist. Two of them in my ecb (Brinkmann propane/charcoal grill/smoker all in one deal), sitting right on the lava rocks with a low burner setting gives me almost exactly 3 hours. For chips, I roll a handful of in foil, like a burrito, and they go 1 hour.

The length of time you add smoke to the ribs is not as important as how much smoke you are producing at any given time
icon_eek.gif

Keep the smoke thin and just perceptible...no big volumes of smoke...you can get a creosote problem if you have too much smoke inside the smoker
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Good Luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky