Ribs a cooking NOW!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raven1911

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Well the ribs have been on about 1.5 hours now and I was wondering if I need to baste them? I am using the 3-2-1 method and I know to take them off around 3 hours or so and put them in foil with some apple juice baste, but do I need to baste them in the smoker now?? First time smoker as you can see.

The ribs only hit 200 deg the first hour so I might need to up the temp for the next couple hours. Figured out the vent at the top wide open heats the darn smoker up more
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif
Let me know what you think. I am taking pictures as I go along to post.

Should be ok to baste/Spritz them. Definitely do it when you foil them.
200*, are you talking about the smoker temp or the meat temp?
If somker temp, raise it up just a little and you will be ok.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Yeah, sorry that 200 deg would be smoker temp. I haven't taken the meat temp yet and will probably spritz them with apple juice, as I don't have any apple cider. I'll go do that now....

ribs is a type of meat you don't take meat temps off.......too thin of meat....and a chance of getting to close to hitting a bone........ribs are more of a time thing........btdt kinda thing.......

butt spritz em.........maybe last 1/2-1 hour........mop em with bbq sauce.......do you plan on foiling me?

In the foil now for about 2 hours.....I am working on the pictures....

Well the ribs turned out well, but my Tritip was the hit. I think I cooked it a bit too long (3 hrs) as it appeared dry but tasted moist. Good smoke ring around it. The tritip was gone at my new years party really fast. Still have a lot of ribs around. I thought the ribs would be a bit more fall off the bone, but maybe I didn't cook them correctly (which is probably the case). The taste was really good though.

Howdy Raven,
On the ribs...I usually wait to foil until I get about 3/8 or 1/2 inch pullback on the bone. As I am waiting, I will mop with Jeffs BBQ sauce a couple of times when I change out my chip cans. Once you get the pull back and you foil...you'll end up with fall off the bone meat. At least with my smoker that is what I've found. Cheers!

Didn't fall off the bone ??? Did you pull the membrane off the back side of the ribs before smoking?? That will make them a might chewier. And what smoker temp did you end up with on average?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky