Riblets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

db28472

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Whiteville, NC
So I saw these things called riblets in a local grocery store and had to buy them.  They were about $1.50 a lb for a 3 lb package.  I got home and did my research on this forum.  After cutting them into 10" sections and removing the silver strip, I applied mustard and coated with Jeff's rub from his cookbook.  Into smoker at 225 with 4 oz of apple chunks.  I kept on eye on smoker temp with Maverick but obviously couldn't check the meat (I have subsequently obtained a thermapen, so next time I will).  At 2 hours I pulled them out and put them in a pan wrapped in foil.  I added a bit of apple cider to the bottom of the pan.  2 hours later, pulled them out and added some bbq sauce.  Wow.  These are amazing and were intended as a appetizer but everyone ate every single piece, wanting more.  So easy too.

Nice job db, looks mighty tasty ! :drool Looks like ya nailed it and no leftovers is proof of that. WHB

I was going to try trimming up a spare rib this summer and then make the riblets. Glad to see it can be done.

icon14.gif

From what I understand, the riblets are trimmed from ribs, not sure if bback or spare, to make them look good.  Sounds like a lot of work at home unless you have a meat cutting band saw.  I can only find them at a small local grocer, not a chain.  They said around here people put them in with collards.  I like my way better
smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky