Riblet smoke question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gabriel

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Omaha, NE
I smoked some riblets this weekend and they ended up real tough. I was at 250-275 most of the time and I probably smoked them for about 4-5 hours. Being small I figured they would cook rather quickly and 5 hours would be more than enough time to make'em just fall apart. I smoked them unwrapped the whole time, and when I took them off, I wrapped'em in foil for about an hour.

When I went to eat them, it was a struggle to pull them apart. I almost need a knife and fork. What did I do wrong?

Another thing, I've read about the 3-2-1 method. Is that 3 hours smoked, then 2 more hours smoked while wrapped in foil, and then 1 more hour smoked unwrapped for a total of 6 hours smoked? Or is it 3 total hours smoked, 2 in foil and one out of foil?

I also did a chicken which turned our wonderfully juicy, everyone loved that one, but it was just too easy. I want my ribs to fall apart.
icon_sad.gif

Thanks for the help guys,
Gabe

Rib tips usually are tough, most people put em in beans or whatnot.
I just eat em for a snack, next time try foiling for a couple hrs, much more tender!

You think if I foiled them for 2 hours in the smoker then took them out for another hour and smoked, they would be better? The foil must hold in the moisture. I was debating whether to foil them or not. Apparently, I made the wrong choice.

Foiling does hold in the moisture, it's basically like braising a piece of meat. Now that's only if you're meat still has moisture in it or if you add liquid to it before foiling. The rib tips I cook (which come from trimmed spare ribs) are smoked for 1.5 - 2 hours before being foiled for an hour or more (along with the skirt and "extra" trimmings from the spares).

Next time, just keep a really good eye on them after you put them on... and if you think they're drying out, go ahead and spray them with a mop sauce and wrap them up in foil. Let 'em go at least an hour foiled up.... then they should be to your liking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky