Rib temps, do you actually check the temp of ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lucc

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
NJ
I've been doing some reading today and some say they remove their ribs at around 165-175. I have never checked the temp of the ribs I've smoked. I wait until the meat pulls back and they bend. Do any of you actual use a probe to check temp for ribs?

Not really enough meat to get an accurate temp reading this close to a bone. I go by time only.
Figured as much, just wondering who did and how they did check temp of ribs.

Figured as much, just wondering who did and how they did check temp of ribs.

you could if you were really careful between the bones of spares and on that bigger hunk of meat on the top side of a rack of baby backs.  i never bother to temp my ribs though.

cool.gif

Now I'm not sure oif you are talking about beef ribs. Now I probe them if they are the really thinck ones that I have don't over the past months. They are called short ribs but they are really long about 8" or so. The spares ribs and babty back we all smoke tham by time not temp.

cool.gif

Now I'm not sure oif you are talking about beef ribs. Now I probe them if they are the really thinck ones that I have don't over the past months. They are called short ribs but they are really long about 8" or so. The spares ribs and babty back we all smoke tham by time not temp.
Those are called "Long Boned Short Ribs" by our local butchers. Basically an uncut short rib. You can also get some Prime Rib Roast Boned Ribs. Now these I will use a temp probe on whether I grill or smoke them.

f9670f69_PrimeBone017.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky