Rib success, trimmings question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brucebq

Original poster
May 12, 2006
Beaverton, OR (PDX)
First rib outing with my GOSM was TASTY. Ribs were Swift cryo'd spares from Costco. Used Jeff's rib rub recipe, with only a few modifications. :) Straight through 7 hour cook (not 3-2-1), mix of cherry and pecan. Last 4 hours mopped with apple juice. Tender, but not falling off the bone, juicy, and with all the flavor from the rub and the smoke, we didn't bother with sauce. Wish I had pics to share. I owe a big THANKS to the assembled knowledge on this forum.

After seeing the "how to" article on trimming spare ribs over on virtualweber, I did a full on KC trim, even removing the point. I've never done this before, but the racks just look great that way. Sure leaves a lot of scraps though. So what do you do with them? I rubbed and smoked the lot, but the scraps didn't come out as juicy and tender as the racks. Maybe these bits would benefit more from a little steaming in foil. Any other ideas?

Bruce

bruce, the scraps don't really have to cook very long. Compared to the full racks, maybe half the time or a little more, if you cooked them longer that may have caused the dryness.

What I don't enjoy as cook's treats or use for family pacifiers during the cook, I sort out the meat and toss them in the bean pot. Makes good beans great.

The trimmings are the cooks treat. "Here have a taste." when somebody asks what you are cooking. The great additive to the rest of your dishes to give the smoky flavor.

If I do any trimming it is usually just the skirt and the brisket bone. The skirt gets dusted with some dry rub and is usually done in about an hour or maybe 1.5 hours at the most.. the kids come out and get these (if I decide to leave them some) and while they usually have a little of the membrane material on them the flavor is really good.

The brisket bone is best smoked along with evertything else and then put into the freezer. The next time you do a pot of beans or stew just throw it in and it will pretty much fall apart in there. The flavor is unbelievable.

I have not tried foiling the trimmings..

i also like to put the rib trimmings in the beans under the ribs and let the drippings drop into em :D

Cooked a pot of Purple Hull peas and Mixed greens last night. Had a couple of smoked ribs left (brisket bone) and dropped it in the pots. Best peas & greens in a long time.

I've been out of the site for awhile but I have never heard of the brisket bone. I can guess where it is could someone verify my thoughts. Any pictures? I just smoked some cheese tonight and a few pork chops. Everything came out excellent. Have a great Fourth to all!!

Shane,

Good to hear from you again! The brisket bone is simply that big bone that runs perpendicular to the 13 actual ribs on a rack of spares.

That's what I was guessing just making sure. I have two chickens and 20 chicken legs in the brine now ready for tomorrow but I guess that will be tomorrow's post. Nice to see this is still up and running and looks to be doing quite well. I'll be on-line more ofter again, just got too busy this spring. Have a good holiday.

The trimmins can be awesome. After I cut my ribs, I take the junk and marinade it all night long. Then in the morning, I put'em in a big pan with apple juice, lemmons, soy sauce and water ......stick'm in the oven (yes I said oven) on 300 for about 4 hours. Then I seperate the meat from the rest. Put the meat in a pan, shake on some pepper and garlic powder and stick it in the smoker with my ribs, spraying apple juice every time I open the smoker.

Then yum time!! :D

imga01833dw.jpg

imga01804ap.jpg

imga01829sl.jpg

Thanks for some great ideas. The ribs for the 4th, used the flap trimmings in the bean pot. Yummy! Next time, think I'll try doing the sternums with the marinade / oven / smoke.

Bruce

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky