Rib rubs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mnduckhunter

Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Going to make some ribs tomorrow. What does everyone use for rubs? I can't have it too spicy because the wife will be eatting it also.

I make my own. I use Jeff's, a Cherry rub I got from another member and I have several books at home that I have used rubs from. The only rub I have ever bought was Bad Byrons Butt rubb and I don't like it on ribs at all. Are you looking to buy a premade rub or make our own?

Search for BRITU on the forums.. I used it as a base for my last recipe and really liked it. I used turbinado sugar, kosher salt and cut it way back, left out the msg, and cut some of the cayenne as well. But it was really good. I think i only used 2tsp of cayenne last time, but i will probably go to 3 next time.

Good suggestion I have heard lots of people raving about this rub. BRITU FYI (Best Ribs In The Universe) If you are looking for recipes there are lots out there and people will chime in and give you some recipes just let us know. Thats the really nice thing about SMF People aren't scared to share their recipes with everyone else.

first time doing it, so I don't know if I want to do my own or look for one on here.

nothing too salty or spicy for this one.

Now Jeff's rub is good and worth every penny you'll pay for it. Now for store bought I like some Old Bay Rub or maybe a butts rub then you could try some ole country Boy's rub is really good too. You can always make your own by just throwing together all the spices that you really like. You'll never know until you try.

Then watch out for store bought and read the ingredients if you do go for one of those.
Lots of times they will have salt as the first ingredient and also contain MSG which is fine but when they are the first or second ingredient (or both) then that's a bit much.

mnduckhunter;484009 said:
Going to make some ribs tomorrow. What does everyone use for rubs? I can't have it too spicy because the wife will be eatting it also.[/QUOT

Try this rub if you like a little sweetness on your ribs.

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/8 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup chilli powder
1/8 cup mustard powder
1/8 cup granulated garlic
1tbs cayenne
2 tbs coarse ground pepper
1/8 cup cherry jello powder

I also use Earl Campbels rib rub or Grub rub from Academy, I will add a little cherry jello powder to the rubs.

Cecil;484136 said:
Wow, That's allmost the same as my rib rub.
I just don't use salt and i add celery seed. .also never have tried the jello.

The last ribs I did, I kinda went old school with very little rub. I had 2 racks of spares & all I used was Lawry's Seasoned Salt & TC's Creole Seasoning. I gave them a moderate sprinkling of the Lawrys & a very lite dusting of the TCs. I trimmed the StL style & the samples from the flap & tips with no sauce was really good. Just enough seasoning to let the full flavor of the smoked pork shine.

My wife would probably like the sweeter rub. I'm not a big fan of it.

Waiting for the smoker to heat up right now.

mnduckhunter;484009 said:
Going to make some ribs tomorrow. What does everyone use for rubs? I can't have it too spicy because the wife will be eatting it also.[/QUOT

Try this rub if you like a little sweetness on your ribs.

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/8 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup chilli powder
1/8 cup mustard powder
1/8 cup granulated garlic
1tbs cayenne
2 tbs coarse ground pepper
1/8 cup cherry jello powder

I also use Earl Campbels rib rub or Grub rub from Academy, I will add a little cherry jello powder to the rubs.
I tried this today and couldn't get them off the smoker fast enough to get any pictues as they were cut and on plates too fast. This was way to good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky