rib rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indianagriller

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Columbus,In
I am looking for input on this rub... and modifications or changes, it is just something i threw togther with stuff i had at home.

Rib Rub
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons turbando sugar
3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons cayanne pepper
3/4 teaspoon red pepper
2 1/4 teaspoons onion powder
2 1/4 teaspoons Garlic Pepper
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon cherry kool aid

Sounds real good. I'd throw it together and give it a try. Cherry Kool-Aid huh? That sounds interesting. Sweetened or unsweetend? Let us know how it works out.

it is un sweetened, but i am thinking of cutting some of the sugar and using one of the kool single serve pouches that you mix in a bottle of water... The rub tastes good doing the scientific lick the finger and try it. I would really like to find some chipotle powder locally and use that as the heat instead of the pepper and cayenne.

I agree with the Chipotle, I would substitute the Smoked Paprika, Cayenne for it. Chili powder?? Why not Red Chile powder (mild to medium is good), I use it with the Chipotle with garlic and pepper for a superb pork seasoning. I don't actually recall ever buying Chili powder, is that what they use for taco seasoning?? does it have other spices in it?? I really do not know, I use only Red Chile powder for mine, here in NM it is a must. For 'lead in the pencil' you could use the XXX hot Red Chile powder and loose the red pepper flakes.
But it sounds real good with the Kool-aid in it.
I may have to try it.

I think you have a good start there, I would try a little cumin and some green, oregano or bassil, tyme. Just a little green till you get where you want ,thats just a thot. The Kool-aid is somethimg I have done for years, try other flavors, you will be amazed how it brings other flavors out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky