Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tybo6

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Newalla,Oklahoma
 Momma went to the local market and got a whole ribeye for $65.....I cut 10.... inch and half steaks off of it and saved the good end for a rib roast....bout a six pounder boneless (it was a one day only meat sale,...got some killer whole tenderloin also)..SOOOOOOO! ...I was wondering if any1 had some good tips on smokin this hunk of love..Any and all input is appreciated...Lookin to hit med rare with it.Thanx my fella smoke blowers

Yeah, nice one, Jerry!

I was gonna say, too, that I haven't done one yet but I've asked about it before, and everyone here said that Cherry wood works great with a PR roast.

Piney That looks gooder an a maf*&^er.....I have always gotten good advice from you...What was your finish temp?

Its hard to get cherry wood in my part of the country,....Thought I might try apple....

Yes, according to the temp chart on the page that I linked to above:

120-125 = Rare

130-135 = Medium Rare

And by my own standards (and from much research -- I've cooked many of these in the oven):

140 = Medium

You really don't want to take a PR any higher than that.

Thank you Myth I appreciate the info.....Bein that we are only bout 45 mins. from one another maybe we should make plans to swap some smoke secrets with one another...lol.....Thank ya much

cool.gif

Yes Jerry did one heck of a job on that rib roast too. Now I would just rubb yours with salt, pepper, and some garlic. Then smoke it on some fruit wood if not cheery then apple is great too. Then I would take it to maybe 135° or so for med rare and you'll be more then happy with that. Now if you need to make it more done then that remember that the ends will be more done then the middle. So good luck and don't forget the Qview please.

You're quite welcome, my friend!

Yeah, that would be cool -- maybe we could even get an OK/TX gathering put together!  Now that would be awesome, especially if we could get Pops and Jeff and cowgirl to show up!
smile.gif
  OMG, we would have the best Q on the planet!!!!!

Thank you Myth I appreciate the info.....Bein that we are only bout 45 mins. from one another maybe we should make plans to swap some smoke secrets with one another...lol.....Thank ya much

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky