Rib Membrane???????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blbuchy

Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
When I remove what I think is the Membrane(very thin and almost transparent comes off) on a rack of ribs there is always still something on the bone and meat. Should I go back and pick everything off down to the bone?

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! 

We love to see pictures of what you are cooking (or what we call q-views here at SMF).  To "upload the q-views" just follow the directions here and it will be easier. If you are using a cell phone, an IPad or a kindle, go to the main SMF page and click the Mobile button. Will make the uploads a bit faster too.

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per Jeff. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Remove this.

Not This

A few pictures are worth thousands of words - nicely done - it would be hard to mis-understand these.

I always buy my Baby Backs at Costco (swift brand).  Years ago, I would pull the membrane off.  Then, at some point, I got a pack where the "membrane" would not pull off.  It took a few tries and discussions till I found out that Swift was now pulling the membranes on the ribs they sell to Costco.  I wish I had seen something this clear back then.  You wouldn't believe what I went through on a few racks trying to get that "membrane" off before I figured it out!

I used to remove the membrane often it was a PITA as it would come off in little pieces, very time consuming. A few months ago I was running way behind and said frig it. I rubbed them and smoked the racks at 275*F, no foiling, for 4 hours...NOBODY NOTICED THE DIFFERENCE! The membrane actually got kind of crisp and the meat still had plenty of Rub and Smoke flavor with a nice tug. I am sold, the Membrane stays!...JJ

All of the fat under the membrane will melt away as you smoke it. i fyou have a hard time pulling off the membrane, then use a paper towel to grab it with. That works best for me.

It's very rare that I can get the membrane to come off easily as shown in the pic.  Most of the time it's a PITA and I go to use the paper towel method to no avail.  I'm left using a knife only to get little bits and pieces off and the rib looks Frankenstein.  Could it be the brand of ribs we have here locally or do I just need more practice?

I got a chance to talk to 3 of the Comp Teams at the Rib Cook-off in Sparks NV last week. All 3 said they didn't have time to mess with the membrane nor would they if they had the time. But, all 3 teams did score the membrane with a knife before the rub and smoker.

Brad

It's very rare that I can get the membrane to come off easily as shown in the pic.  Most of the time it's a PITA and I go to use the paper towel method to no avail.  I'm left using a knife only to get little bits and pieces off and the rib looks Frankenstein.  Could it be the brand of ribs we have here locally or do I just need more practice?
If you are buying Swift brand from Costco - they have already pulled off the Membrane - and you are most likely trying to get that underlying membrane that holds the bones in.  Check with the meat cutter wherever you are buying the ribs - see if they have already pulled it.  I had this problem when Swift went from shipping their 3-packs with membranes to removing them.

Removing the membrane is easy.....   run hot tap water over the membrane for 30 seconds or so.... that melts the fat, just enough, so the membrane pulls right off once you grab it with a paper towel.......    Works for me.....     Dave

Removing the membrane is easy.....   run hot tap water over the membrane for 30 seconds or so.... that melts the fat, just enough, so the membrane pulls right off once you grab it with a paper towel.......    Works for me.....     Dave
I have never heard of this - makes sense - I'll try it next time - thanks!

The past half dozen or so times I smoked ribs I had very little trouble getting the membrane off. I usually just rinse the rack off under warm water, and peel up the membrane with a butter knife, and pull it off with my bare fingers. I don't go all crazy getting every last little bit off.

Really?
Almost all my membranes to date have pulled of as easily as shown in the picture. The only time I have trouble is if the membrane is scored or damaged

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky