Rib ID Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gadawgsr1

Fire Starter
Original poster
I sent the wife to Sam's yesterday to pick up some ribs for the weekend. They had their ribs for $1.97/lb
icon_eek.gif
. The wife calls and says they were $2.98/lb
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
now and that was all she could find. When I arrived home from work, I found she had purchased ribs that were labeled "Pork Loin Back Ribs Bone In Cov". They look like baby back ribs to me (based on the pictures at this link provided by Debi in another post: http://mcraigweaver.com/ribcuts.htm) The ones that were $1.97/lb looked more like the ones label spare ribs at this link. Am I correct in making this assumption?

Got it thanks! They will hit the smoker at 6:00 am tomorrow morning. 2-2-1 method--first attempt. I hope they turn out so good they make your tounge slap your brain silly
icon_lol.gif
! I am making them for a friend of mine and his wife as they have just had their 3rd baby boy! Oh my!
eek.gif

So for now, it is off to rub a rib and then to bed.

Thanks for the help.

Good luck bro,
You can't go wrong with 2-2-1 i just cooked 8 racks yesterday at the station. Everyone said they were the best rib's they have ever had!
smile.gif
Take some pic's

Much of what gets labeled as baby back ribs are not "true" babybacks depending on what you use as your reference source. I have always heard the same as what was posted 1.75 lbs and down are the "real" baby backs, the rest are just loinbacks.

All baby backs are loinbacks, but not all loinbacks are baby backs.

The vast majority of people don't know the difference, and a lot of the ones that do, don't care.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

If you decide to refer to a 2.5 lb rack of loinbacks as baby backs, I won't try to stop you. LOL

Here is one "reference" that I found doing a quick search.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect.html

People often use the terms "baby back ribs" and "back ribs" interchangeably. However, some in the pork industry suggest that only loin back ribs weighing less than 1-3/4 pounds per slab should be called "baby back".

Joe
Thanks for the link. I went and watched the video about trimming spareribs down to St Louis style ribs. I found it to be an excellent example on rib preparation.
I wish I would have seen the video before last weekend when I did my spare ribs on the smoker. They would have been easier to eat if I would have known to remove the sternum and cartilage. They still tasted great.

I have been a member of this forum for about 2 or 3 weeks and can not believe how much I have learned.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Thanks again.

The standard weight for BB ribs is 1.75 lbs. and under, but if the BB's are cut "in-store" rather than a processing plant, they be a little heavyer.

Check out this link, Alton Brown describes the differences between pork ribs.

Disregard his cooking methods as it's not BBQ, I thought it was pretty interesting anyway...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky