REVERSE FLOW BUILD, FIRST TIME TO BUILD HELP!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

butchms

Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
I am using a piece of 20in 3/8 wall pipe for the cooking chamber, It It will be 36in long. The firebox will be made of 14i 3/8 n x 24 pipe. I understand that the channel plate should mount 3-4in under the cooking grate. It will have a drain to allow the drippings to exit the cooking chamber. It will have a 4in stak. I am still debating on how close to mount it to the grate.

The heavy wall pipe is a question that I have. Some of you that have used old propane tanks etc. Let me know how the heavy gauge material preformed on long cooks. Also let me know how hard it was to maintain temps. I want to thank all of you in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have that type of tank, but I would think the thicker the walls on the tank the better it will hold temps.  You might want to search some threads on here of different builds that relate to yours and ask them in their post.  You might get a better responce.  Good luck

Just remember, on smoker builds, the thicker the better.  Thick means more insulation/heat retention, thin mean heat loss.  So a 3/8" wall chamber is real good.

Try and keep your RF plate a few inches under your cooking grate and try and keep your opening for you firebox a few inches under your RF plate.  I don't know if you have that much room, but you should be able to fit it all in there.

Hey guys I want to thank each of you for your feedback.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky