Returning Weber/Side-Box Vet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blackgnat

Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Hey All,
I've been haunting your site (and others) for a while and, without dissing other sites, I feel like I found family here. So, I've signed up.

Way back there; I was of the faith that, as much as possible, foods were to be smoked or grilled ... outside; a natural law. To prevent starvation ... baked, fried and steamed were allowed and assembling side items "inside" was okay and you never made fun of those who felt the need to do so (proper decorum for those of us who had a grill/smoker physically attached to our persons).

I had an old Weber and a variety of homemade side-box smokers including recycled refrigerators, large metallic vessels of unknown origin that had the right spatial-elements so a little "fixing" could conjure a "cooker". There were some incidents involving trout, cardboard boxes, jimmy-rigged grates and a down-hill trench covered in wood planks that led to a cruelly demanding fire pit.

We didn't have remote thermometers then so it's a wonder we didn't die.

Trout were good, though.

Then, I don't know ... like the commercial says; "Life comes at you fast".

Suddenly, it's decades later and, while I've never been without a grill on the deck or in the yard, I realized what I've slowly abandoned.

So, when my wife caught me peering at an electric smoker (okay, I might have drooled), she presented it to me on Father's Day last year.

I promptly fell off the roof of our home while readying a re-shingling (broke a half dozen ribs ... did he say ribs? ... in my back), set me back six weeks at work, then her mother passed away, 30 days later my father passed away, hip and leg injury recovery and suddenly it's this year and I haven't fired up my electric Brinkman.

I finally lit that puppy up. My wife is a pulled-pork ind of lady and while I made her happy with the results (too little smoke flavor), results didn't make me happy. Did ribs and chicken and this and that and while they all garnered requests for more ... they weren't what I felt they should be.

My first reaction was to ditch the electric and somehow get a side-box on my property. Then I was fortunate enough to snack on a venison roast a friend rendered on an electric and picked his brain. That sent me on a quest to learn how to use an electric which led me to SMF.

I'm about four years away from a "surf-and-turf retirement". We love the water so a house/camping boat is happening in our future but so is a built-in grill/smoker on the rear patio of our retirement home. Unless we figure out how to smoke on a boat.

That's about it. Glad to be here. Learned tons already. Can't wait to share.

Genuinely appreciate the SMF.

A warm welcome to a new friend!
First sorry about that run of awful luck! that was way to much!
Happy you found us, we are here with welcome arms! I am with momma, I love PP but Carolina PP...I am learning however, that brisket..is really, really yummy pulled for sammies...I digress, Greetings! I hope you have a smoke planned for this weekend, and I will look for your q-vue!!
Happy smokes!

get the lounger , set it next to the smoker , let the thin blue roll , AND STAY OFF THE DANG ROOF
icon_exclaim.gif

Love the moniker! Yeah. rough year. We all have rough years in the past or future or maybe the present. Looking forward to being involved with SMF. I think my wife may like the "mustard" style of PP. She's a mustard-lady. One of her secret indulgences is something she calls "bachelor bread". Flour, water, mustard. Basically a pancake with mustard. I love her anyway.

I'll be hunting some Carolina PP recipes for her.

Thanks for the reply. I knew I found family.

You are absolutely correct and right. I'm trying to find out if my wife has established an smf identity as "gorilla ..." no, never mind. It's just that when I even glance at our roof she starts verbally flogging me and ... yeah, roof is off limits.

Thin blue smoke.

I can make me and mine happy with that.

I've got one of those "zero gravity" lounges I haven't used yet. Beside the smoker is about the best place I know to break it in.

Smoker on the right, cooler on the left ... me in the middle ... I'm going to google the definition of "nirvana" ... might have found it.

Thanks, Flyin', for the direction. See why I like smf?

Welcome to SMF. Sounds like you'll get along just fine with this gang of smoking nuts
biggrin.gif

I think you're right, Bassman. And that is one nice looking bucketmouth mount. Bet there's a wad of memories in that photo.

Great intro Blackgnat (other noobs take notice!). I didn't have the decision to make you had one year ago - I stumbled onto this site and was hooked from the start. Don't know that I have ever even looked at another forum... Welcome aboard!!

Welcome, we have many things in common,smokeing, pulled pork and my boys took the ladder away and locked it up....lol ...I lost roof access...kick the tires and light the fires....er plug in smokers...you will fit in fine here bro..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky