Reseasoning Cast Iron Pan, What Did I do Wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did you invert the skillet while seasoning ?? You know, cooking side down ?? Maybe the oil was too thick to season properly and an "un hardened" layer was next to the cast iron...
I started cooking side down, then flipped as I did each coat. I did very light layers though.

Anyways I know I started this thread some time ago to I will just give a quick update as to what happened. I stripped the pan down to bare metal with a grinder and wire wheel. After that I found a great deal on brand new Lodge 10" pan for $5 at a garage sale so I started using that one. The cabela's pan got put into the garage to sit until I found the time to re season it and then I ultimately forgot about it until last week...... when I found it full of mouse crap and rust. Even though I could probably clean it with the wire wheel again and sterilize it for re seasoning I think I'm just going to take it out to the farm and hang it beside the gongs on the rifle range.

hang it beside the gongs on the rifle range.
Find time to bring it back , or find someone who would like to do it . One shot and it's pieces anyway .
For now , sand the rust off ( don't use the wire wheel ) oil it up and store it in a plastic bag .

You really should strip it back down and then re-season it.
And yes, the more I research the flaxseed oil seasoning method and associated issues, the more I'd avoid that method and stick with just using Crisco followed by daily use if possible.

Reactions: Hinkle
stick with just using Crisco followed by daily use if possible.
Old thread but tossing in my 2 cents. We use almost nothing but CI on a glass top. New cast iron from 2019 Christmas to unknown age passed down. To do a full clean we bake 375*F for an hour, wash with hot water, chainmail scrubber, and Dawn (sure others will work) then put a thin layer of Crisco on. Bake again for an hour, 375. I do this with the new pans too. The first few cooks may stick until a base has built.

Upkeep - After cooking and still on a low simmer, we'll put in a glass of water while we eat, or whatever covers the bottom of the pan with a 1/4" of water. Scrape it with a plastic or wood spatula after eating and everything cleans right off. Toss the water and clean anything remaining, smear with another thin coat of Crisco with the burner on low and wait until it melts and is shiny. Continually doing this has built up the desired non stick coat/seasoning for our cooking. We rarely go over medium heat on the stove top or 375 in the oven.

corrected AT to UP

Last edited:
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Old thread but tossing in my 2 cents. We use almost nothing but CI on a glass top. New cast iron from 2019 Christmas to unknown age passed down. To do a full clean we bake 375*F for an hour, wash with hot water, chainmail scrubber, and Dawn (sure others will work) then put a thin layer of Crisco on. Bake again for an hour, 375. I do this with the new pans too. The first few cooks may stick until a base has built.

Upkeep - After cooking and still on a low simmer, we'll put in a glass of water while we eat, or whatever covers the bottom of the pan with a 1/4" of water. Scrape it with a plastic or wood spatula after eating and everything cleans right off. Toss the water and clean anything remaining, smear with another thin coat of Crisco with the burner on low and wait until it melts and is shiny. Continually doing this has built of the desired non stick coat/seasoning for our cooking. We rarely go over medium heat on the stove top or 375 in the oven.

Outstanding information for daily care.

You just can't beat using a chainmail scrubber for the extra stubborn stuff and the thin coat of Crisco after cleaning. I am the one who usually cleans all of our CI pans since they're kind of heavy for my wife to deal with.
She won't even touch the CI wok...that thing is a beast!

Reactions: Hinkle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky