Repairing cast iron pan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
Anyone have any luck welding a cast iron pan? I have a 12" that got knocked off the counter and broke in two places opposite of the handle, bottom is fine. I've only seen one video of a guy successfully fixing one with a wire feed. I love my cast iron! It's all I use, and I miss the 12". My understanding is to keep it hot while welding, which is going to be difficult here in Minnesota for the next six months. I've put it off for the last few years being scared of screwing it up, but I guess it isn't doing much good as is. Might have to just tackle it one of these weekends, good or bad.

Welding cast iron is difficult at best. Pre and post heat are definitely needed or it will crack. I understand your love of the pan but it might be time to let it go and replace it with another.
Been looking at swap meets for a replacement, they must be made of gold though! You're right though, one of these days I'll have to bite the bullet and replace it.

Had a cast iron head crack on an old camper. We had it brazed then milled down to a smooth surface. Lasted until we sold it years later....
Buddy had a 25 gallon cast iron pot with a 5 inch crack around one of the legs, had it brazed and he's still cooking with it today. But he only cooks over open fire with it. If the crack is on a cooking surface, I do not know how well it will hold up if cooking over propane, nat. gas or electric....

here's a picture.

Attachments

• cast iron.jpg
    cast iron.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 74
You might be OK with brazing since the cracks are on the side. Be very careful with heat up and cool down. Go extremely slow! A hot box is the best method IMO...

here's a picture.
Braze the two pieces together first it will do two things first it will show you what your able to do or not able to do. Second it is easier to hold clamp one piece than two while your brazing.
Their are new ones out there so figure this more for sentimental reason than practical ones. Can always use the old for wood chips or other cooking purposes.
Just my two cents.
kit

Reactions: kawboy
A new Lodge 12" skillet is $19.90 at WalMart
I've got a soft spot for the old stuff. I was looking for a dutch oven for years when a buddy at work was getting rid of some stuff he inherited with some cast in it. Wanted $20 for a Rubbermaid tote full. Ended up with a basting pot and nine pans. Since then people keep unloading pans on me☺.

Sounds like I may have to find some of my Dad's old Brazing stuff and give it a go. Thanks for all the input!

If you have access to a TIG machine, you can TIG braze with silicon bronze ... Heat it up hot with a weed burner... I would grind the edges to form a "V" so there's room for filler.. Some say, which I haven't tried, is peen the weld after an inch or so then continue brazing...
Check out U-Tube for brazing cast iron...

Reactions: kawboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky