Remodded my old Charcoal to Propane Converted GOSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flash

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 30, 2007
Chiefland/Cedar Key, Fl
Some of you know I converted an old HEAVY GOSM Charcoal smoker to propane using a single burner propane stove. It worked really well but eventually the original stoves Petcock valve gave out on me. That Petcock allowed me to adjust the heat. I was able to hit temps of 325º to 350º with that setup.

Couldn't find just a replacement Petcock, so had to buy a new single burner. Trouble is they seemed to have regulated the propane intake and I never could get my temps much over 285º and that was during the summer months. During the winter, unless I used sand in the water pan instead of water. I struggle to hit 275º and on real cold days, maybe only 225º.

While up in North Carolina, on a trip to visit the MIL, I stopped by Reeves Hardware store in Clayton, Georgia. And I was lucky enough to spot this regulator. Hadn't seen one like this before.

2d0c97a8_Regulator108.jpg

Around $25 or so. Thought maybe this could solve my problem, so picked it up.

97e3459b_Newsetup11.jpg

So instead of the Petcock value, which controlled the flame (having to open the smoker to do so), in the smoker, I now have the flame control right at the tank.

b0266fe4_Oldflame13.jpg

This was about the best flame I could get back when I had the Petcock Valve setup.

6cf9a093_NewFlame114.jpg

And here is the new flame I have to work with. Not that I will run it that high
biggrin.gif

Shoot, I can grill in that thing now.

Nice Setup - you got FLAME!

I use this in my smokehouse:

330973_lg.jpg

along with this:

330972_lg.gif

mrheater.gif

[h1]Mr. Heater LP Kit For Propane Stoves, Model# F273071[/h1]Only $29.99

In Stock
Ship Wt. 1.4 lbs.

UL listed regulator and hose kit lets you hook up the propane stove above to your 20-lb. propane tank or portable cylinder, not included.
view-product-page.gif

Key Product Specs
Common UsageLP kit
Works WithMr. Heater propane stoves
ULUL listed
Includes1 Regulator and a 5ft. hose assembly

From Northern Tool: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...90?cm_sp=Upsells-_-Top Sellers-_-Product Page

You can see it in my Smokehouse link below, if you ever need to replace it!

What happend to the other post ?

Still there in Propane section.

Pops, I looked at that one, but it would not work too easily in my GOSM. The side vent is very centralized and with the hookup on your burner being in the front, it would not line up easily to the tubing.

I notice 3 level controls, do turning on each one increase the propane flow?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky