Remembering Our Friends in Moore, Oklahoma This Weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
It is important to remember and honor our fighting men and women this holiday weekend.  God Bless Our Veterans and Active Duty Military this Memorial Day!

I just also wanted to keep it fresh in our minds that many of my fellow Oklahomans are homeless, or suffering the loss of a loved one, or displaced from their homes, because of last Monday's devastating and deadly tornado that ripped Moore, Oklahoma apart, and its aftermath.

I've been in contact with geerock (Thanks, Brother!) who is in the OKC area providing relief assistance with Americares, and he's sharing with me just how bad the destruction still is.  (I hope he doesn't mind me bragging on his volunteer service)  Entire neighborhoods are just gone, wiped to their foundations. I've had family staying with us for several days, whose home was not destroyed, but who have been displaced because of loss of water and other services.

Many of you have given to the charitable organizations that are providing relief in Central Oklahoma...Thank You, and God Bless!  Operation BBQ Relief is continuing to do all they can to feed emergency relief workers and people displaced by the storm.  Their link is scrolling across the top of the SMF Homepage.  There are many other worthy charities, like Americares, doing great work to assist in the recovery, so if you can, and haven't already done so, please give!

Thanks to all, and Happy Memorial Day...

Red

Hi to all,

Decided to come on down from CT to OK with Americares to see what can be done to lend a hand.  I have been to seven of these disasters including the tsunami in Indonesia, and the recent Storm Sandy destruction back in my neck of the country.  The enormity of the destruction here is incredible.  Entire communities gone.  Buildings leveled as far as you can see in some areas.  The news stories and pics don't come close to telling the whole story.  Communication is spotty so I'll try to keep you folks updated if you think you would like to hear about it.

Our good friends from BBQ Relief have set up at least two places..... one at a church in Moore and another at a sporting goods shop.  These guys are putting out great Q and the cookers are running non stop.  Amazing amounts of goods arriving everyday, from medicines and tetanus for workers to water.  Food to blankets.  Heavy equipment and dump trucks to clear the debris.  And volunteers and relief workers pouring in everyday.  Its already a 100% better but a long way to go before these folks can get back to anything close to normal.  Here's one thing I have to say..... these Okies don't just stand around and watch.  They jump right in.  Seniors, teens, and everybody in between are right there helping.  Even little kids are lending a hand anyway they can.  And the women here are as strong as anyone.  Hundred and something pound teens girls doing heavy lifting along with elderly ladies putting in long days.  There are huge groups of people some who work through the night, others that are ready to go at 4 to 5 AM waiting to be instructed on where they're needed.  And there haven't been a more grateful and thankful group of folks anywhere where I've done this.  Sincere thanks and hugs all day long from the locals. 

Now so much more is needed.  If you've ever thought of volunteering and can make it here...come on down.  There is a place for everyone to to assist here.  And no need to feel you are in the way, unwanted, or unwelcome.  This will be an experience that you will be so rewarding and that you will be so thankful that you did you will never forget it.  Because I know these fine people here won't let you forget it.  If you can't volunteer then the need for everything is so great that any and all size donations will be appreciated by these folks.  Everything from water to toiletries to any other basic needs that we take for granted is in demand here.  Maybe start a collection at your schools or put together a care package of some kind.  Or if it's easier to send money, and can, then thats great too.  Like all things that really make a difference, it's the little folk, the everyday joe, the common man that will get things done.  And this time we are helping our own deserving citizens. Pick a favorite charity or relief organization and give a call or donate.  It won't go unrewarded.  These folks, that are doing all they can to help themselves, deserve it.  Thanks for listening.

Reactions: seenred
Thanks for checking in, geerock...and thank you so much for lending a hand! 

Red

Thanks for posting the updates.  At my quilt shop...ladies are sending blankets and quilts thru Project Linus to help out.  At least they might be a "lovie" for a little one...or a little comfort for someone that is older.  Also...we have sent monies to Operation BBQ Relief. Those folks are doing an amazing job.

Keep us posted please!

Kat

Thanks for posting the updates.  At my quilt shop...ladies are sending blankets and quilts thru Project Linus to help out.  At least they might be a "lovie" for a little one...or a little comfort for someone that is older.  Also...we have sent monies to Operation BBQ Relief. Those folks are doing an amazing job.

Keep us posted please!

Kat
Thanks Kat for doing your part!  And please thank the ladies at the shop too!  Every little bit helps. 

A day or 2 ago, a local news channel did a feature on the OBR folks, they interviewed one of their organizers on site in Moore.  They are doing amazing work.  Thanks to everyone who has donated to them...they are feeding literally thousands daily.

Red

Red, just a reminder for folks that a great way to help is also to donate to Feeding America, or their local foodbank.  Most of the foodbanks nationwide are networked through Feeding America, and when a disaster hits, foodbanks around the nation respond by transferring truckloads of food to the affected areas.  At the very least, donating locally can help prop up local inventories, meaning that national food inventories can be diverted to foodbanks needing to replenish.

Stopped by the BBQ Relief setup at the Baptist Church in Moore today. Told them about the support from the forum and was able to talk bbq for a while. Old Hickory Pits apparently donated some of their smokers, and some great cooks served up over 1500 lbs of pork and beef today. They have another load goung right now getting ready for tomorrow. And they plan on sticking around doing it for a long time. Last night a bunch of old time pickers (including myself), and some local boys got together across from the church to play a little music, drink a beer, and have some pp sandwiches. Can't remember the last time I felt good about much of anything before that. It was a great time after a hard day. Can't say enough about the local folks really making everyone feel at home. If you can find your way here, there is the feeling that a lot of good is going to arise from this tragedy. It a true sociological event..... not on a forum, or facebook, twiitter. Just good old fashioned people helping people. Face to face.

Red, just a reminder for folks that a great way to help is alsl to donate to Feeding America, or their local foodbank.  Most of the foodbanks nationwide are networked through Feeding America, and when a disaster hits, foodbanks around the nation respond by transferring truckloads of food to the affected areas.  At the very least, donating locally can help prop up local inventories, meaning that national food inventories can be diverted to foodbanks needing to replenish.

Feeding America was on site almost immediately through a regional food bank from OKC. Mobilized massive amounts of food from the national postal workers annual food collection and other donations. Thanks piaconis for another way to give.

Stopped by the BBQ Relief setup at the Baptist Church in Moore today. Told them about the support from the forum and was able to talk bbq for a while. Old Hickory Pits apparently donated some of their smokers, and some great cooks served up over 1500 lbs of pork and beef today. They have another load goung right now getting ready for tomorrow. And they plan on sticking around doing it for a long time. Last night a bunch of old time pickers (including myself), and some local boys got together across from the church to play a little music, drink a beer, and have some pp sandwiches. Can't remember the last time I felt good about much of anything before that. It was a great time after a hard day. Can't say enough about the local folks really making everyone feel at home. If you can find your way here, there is the feeling that a lot of good is going to arise from this tragedy. It a true sociological event..... not on a forum, or facebook, twiitter. Just good old fashioned people helping people. Face to face.
Thanks geerock.  The folks of OBR need all the appreciation and recognition they can get for the good work they're doing.  And Kudos to Old Hickory Pits for donating to a good cause.

Red

Red, just a reminder for folks that a great way to help is also to donate to Feeding America, or their local foodbank.  Most of the foodbanks nationwide are networked through Feeding America, and when a disaster hits, foodbanks around the nation respond by transferring truckloads of food to the affected areas.  At the very least, donating locally can help prop up local inventories, meaning that national food inventories can be diverted to foodbanks needing to replenish.
Feeding America was on site almost immediately through a regional food bank from OKC. Mobilized massive amounts of food from the national postal workers annual food collection and other donations. Thanks piaconis for another way to give.
Thanks piaconis and geerock for the info on Feeding America.  One more very worthy organization that needs our support!

Red

Hearing from the BBQ Relief folks on Face Book.....they have hunkered down now...and are facing a lot more storms today.  PLEASE....you members in OK stay safe!  Keep us posted and let us know if you are okay right now!

Kat

I lived in Norman for 2 years and graduated from Norman High School.  It's been tough to hear every time Moore has been hit since then.  The place can't catch a break from massive tornadoes.  

Stay safe, folks.  Oklahoma is, to date, my favorite of all the homes away from home I've ever had.

Kat, TMS...

We're under a tornado warning right now.  Watching a tornadic storm just to our southwest now, but it looks like it'll miss us just south.  Haven't heard yet of any deadly or damaging storms today, but lots of rain and hail.

Thanks for checking on us.

Red

Thanks Curtis.

Well we had to go get in the storm shelter for a while. Tornado passed just 4 miles to our south. Pretty small tornado compared to last week's storm. Not much damage. We are watching live coverage of another tornado on the ground in Tulsa area, about 35 miles east of us. I hope we don't have to go back to the storm shelter before the night is over.

Red

Yeah there is some wicked weather passing through here. Hail, hundreds of lightning strikes, high winds. This weather is just setting back the relief efforts. Temporary tent areas are getting uprooted in some areas and temp joints like bbq relief and others keep having to try to protect equipment and people. Small time compared to the monster tornado that bashed Moore and surrounding areas last week, but it's like 3 steps forward and 2 back. Stay safe all.

Hey geerock, glad to see you check in. The folks in Moore can't seem to catch a break. Things are a little tense here tonight, but can't hold a candle to how panicked those people had to feel this evening when new storms started moving in.

Stay safe!

Red

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky