Regulating Temp Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sharonazamboni

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 25, 2010
Western MA
I seem to have a problem with my temperatures. When I finally get my smoker up to 190 or so, I think there's too much smoke. No problem with thin smoke at first, but after a while...couple hours...It's only at 170 or so. Then I move the flame up a bit, and worry about nasty vs. good smoke, cause I see lots!  I have top vent fully open, bottom vents open or closed, trying to fix the problem. Been using chunks of hickory from the store. Wood box fully covered with the CI cover.  A few mesquite chips to start off with today along with 2 big hickory chunks. I did open the door twice, but it's been 3 1/2 hrs, and temp is 190's. (Digital probe thru a tater, near the cooking rack) Am I overly worried about the amount of smoke? Nobody's gonna call the FD, but I don't want to ruin my meat.

Yikes! After reading a while, I thought I'd have trouble keeping the temperature low, not keeping it up!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky