Ref; Smoked Watermelon.. Ham?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I thought I saw somewhere that they actually put wood ash in the brine and that is what changed the texture. I’ve got a buddy in the restaurant biz in Fla, they are doing it now and I know they used pecan ash in the brine.

Chemically I think wood ash and soda ash are somewhat similar in that they both are alkaline and would raise pH of the brine, so both might work. Maybe it's just a large amount of sugar in the brine and it jells into a candy type thing? That could explain the sheen too.

Reactions: 73saint
I’m new to this forum, but I came across this little gem. I love making up concoctions. I am going to try this over the next few days. I’m going to do it two different ways. I will keep you all updated if you’d like.

Reactions: 73saint
I’m new to this forum, but I came across this little gem. I love making up concoctions. I am going to try this over the next few days. I’m going to do it two different ways. I will keep you all updated if you’d like.

Let me know! It can't be weirder than grilling it right?

Reactions: TXCowboyBBQ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky