Redneck in BBQ Heaven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

choochmm

Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Hi All,

We moved to Austin, TX from CT about a year ago. I instantly found myself in love with smoked meats. I went out and bought a Chargriller Smokin Pro with Side firebox from the local Academy for $150. I'm not telling you all, it needs some works. Smoke's escapes from just about every place I can see. I am going to Home Depot tonight to see if I can find some of that stove rope. I know trhey have the 3/4 angle so that should not be a problem. I already have the stove pipe exteded, made a baffle out of some sheet metal due to the hot spot right out of the firebox and drilled in a new thermometer closer to the cooking grate. My biggest problem is that the firebox ash chamber has a good sized gap so I would appreciate any suggestions on how I might seal this up. Difficult because it is at the top and crescent shaped. Anyway, I am enjoying all the great tips you have and will be chacking back frequently.

Big Chooch

Welcome to SMF!

I have a cheap snp and even with all the smoke escaping from all over the meats still come out great.

When I first got my chargriller I was determined to stop the leaks. Well that didnt happen. If you learn to master the fire, these leaks wont matter much. Master the fire.. smoke on!

Welcome to the SMF, you'll have plenty of good help with your smoker from our friendly members.

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
I've got a Char-Grill Silver Smoker. I used the red head gasket maker from WalMart's and laid a bead all around where both doors close on the firebox and smoke chamber. I put plastic wrap on the door first and sprayed the doors with PAM on top of the wrap. I then closed the doors and waited 24 hours. Not much of a leak; but looks "different, red gasket on black smoker? " I like the way it keeps the temperature steady. I put a thermometer just about grill level at each end of the smoke chamber door and I sealed the place where the factory thermometer would have been. I also use a remoter probe thermometer to varify the meat's internal temperature.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Hi Cooch! Welcome to SMF! A question...are you having trouble with low temps/inconsistant temps? If not... let it leak. Probably the most worrisome issue is the firebox gap. They make a refractory cement that could be used for this. I dunno if the hi-temp silicone would stand up there tho...seems I read someone tried that? Can't recall, but there's a ton of posts on mod/fixes for those puppies! Again..welcome and ENJOY!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky