• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Record Rain

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
76" of rain so far for the year. Annual avg is 66". Most rain ever was 2016 when we had the flood (23-31" of rain over 4 days in the area) that year we got 91" of rain. We just might break that record as we still have a lot of year left to go and fall can be fairly wet around here.

One of the reasons for this pattern is the big fires in the NW. Apparently they are creating their own weather with a heat dome effect, thus a high pressure system sets up and the jet stream flows around it to the north, buckling and driving south along the eastern side of the Rockies. Been having lots of unstable weather this summer with days and days of rain....6-8" at a time.

Last edited:

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Been really rough on tomatoes. 90% of the fruits are cracking on the vine and fruit flies are laying eggs on the green fruits so that they rot before they are ripe to pick. Been picking a lot early, but still lost most of them. Won't be making my salsa or tomato sauce this season which is a bummer. Oh well, there is always next season....

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
That's rough. We had unusual rain a couple years ago and the garden did not do well. This Summer has been great. 80°F days and mid 50's at night...JJ

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
LOL.... I have about 3 acres of property, its all usually beautifully mowed and manicured. It's only been cut 5 time this year, Two of which were last week. Its not worth digging ruts in the ground trying to pull the lawmowers out.

But its Louisiana if it didn't rain it would be 100+ degree weather. I don't mind the weeds, but the mosquitos are getting really cocky!!

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Can you spare a few billion gallons, please?
It could be a lot worse than a few tomatoes, this is CA's largest drinking water Res.
1628151045770.png

1628151164981.png

This is the low water marina site, now it's the no water marina site, and in a few more weeks the turbines for the power plant will be out of the water. The power plant produces about 2.2 billion kilowatt hours (kWh) of power each yr, so this is going to get really sporty out here in the heat of the summer. Our summers last well into Oct most years. We are so screwed, it's sickening what they have done to this once great state.:emoji_imp::emoji_imp::emoji_imp:

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Been really rough on tomatoes. 90% of the fruits are cracking on the vine and fruit flies are laying eggs on the green fruits so that they rot before they are ripe to pick. Been picking a lot early, but still lost most of them. Won't be making my salsa or tomato sauce this season which is a bummer. Oh well, there is always next season....
You threw them away because they were split? I've always just cut a wedge out where it's split, and they were fine inside.

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I threw them away because of maggots.
Tomato splits, fruit fly lays eggs, maggots infest entire fruit before it is fully ripe on the vine.

PPG1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 22, 2020
We are so screwed, it's sickening what they have done to this once great state.:emoji_imp::emoji_imp:
And that is why i'm glad to be from the "Great Free State" of South Carolina.
Here most of us are Conservationist vs Environmentalist.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Yup mother nature can be at her best or her worse just depends how she is feeling I mean that's the way of a women. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Warren

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
That "lake" looks like the pond off my back yard--it's 3 feet lower than it should be. This is the first year in 14 that I haven't had to pump the pond out twice to keep it from flooding the back yard.
Gary

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
And that is why i'm glad to be from the "Great Free State" of South Carolina.
Here most of us are Conservationist vs Environmentalist.
But your duck hunting sucks!!!:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.