recipe for North Carolina sausage (not smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shavon

Original poster
Jan 15, 2021
So I've been trying to find a recipe for North Carolina sausage that's not smoked. The last time I bought the sausage, it was from a small store near Roseboro, I believe. It had to be kept in the fridge (I had to risk bringing some back home to the West Coast, though... You folks know how it is :D). I've been looking for recipes online, but I can't figure out what was in that sausage. Anyone got a basic recipe I can build on?

Last edited:
I've never heard of NC sausage. Is this what you are referring to:
https://ncsmokehouse.com/shop/sausage

Probably not as the link is to North Country Smokehouse in New Hampshire

I suspect the sausage in question is something like Neese's or one of the other local/regional fresh bulk sausages available here. If memory serves there was a thread some time back about a copy cat recipe for Neese's sausage.

Best regards to all,

Bass sausage is another local maker. Good flavor a bit salty for me. One local producer near Washington made a spicy breakfast sausage that was a local favorite. Place closed and sold recipes to someone, now not quite the same taste. Acre Station east of Washington also does sausage.
Any chance you know the brand or area it came from?
Link below is from another site. Vivian Howard is Chef in Kinston.
Made 2# of this in bulk for SIL. She was searching for a replacement for the sausage that changed flavor/owner said this was close to what she grew up eating

So it’s just fresh sausage. What is the flavor profile?
It's a bit on the herby side--I know there's sage involved, but there's something else that gives it an additional herby flavor. Maybe fennel or something? I'm not sure.

Bass sausage is another local maker. Good flavor a bit salty for me. One local producer near Washington made a spicy breakfast sausage that was a local favorite. Place closed and sold recipes to someone, now not quite the same taste. Acre Station east of Washington also does sausage.
Any chance you know the brand or area it came from?
Link below is from another site. Vivian Howard is Chef in Kinston.
Made 2# of this in bulk for SIL. She was searching for a replacement for the sausage that changed flavor/owner said this was close to what she grew up eating

This looks pretty good. Maybe the ginger and garlic gives it that herby taste that I'm looking for. I don't know the brand--it was one of the "made in the store" sort of things. I had a picture of the actual packaging, and lost it years ago when my hard drive died. But I'm definitely trying this recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky