Real Pastrami Another HUGE Score W/Qview

Discussion in 'Beef' started by ronp, Aug 31, 2008.

1. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Well, my new found Butcher friend had these marked down from $2.99 to $.99. WOW, and they are brisket flats, not beef rounds.

[​IMG]

The marinade. Vidalia Onion marinade, Webers black Peppercorn rub, and a dash of syrup for good measure. I did the fry pan salt test and it past without soaking.

[​IMG]

This is the marinade.

[​IMG]

All coated and in the fridge till tomorrow night.

Thanks for watching.

Ron

2. Ron,

I take the Peppercorn Melange and put it in a ziploc and beat the snot out of the peppercorns with a rolling pin.

That course pepper then gets rubbed onto the corned beef victim, then I smoke it.

The peppercorns seem to carmelize into a transcendent, gastronomic nirvana. I am not a professional cook like you are, so I don't know all the chemical and alchemy stuff, but with great help like pros and champs like you, I muddle through and discover some great stuff - like this wonderful Pastrami.

Pastrami on! all my Kosher friends! It is like buttah - talk amongst yourselves.

Brad in Kentucky

PS - You aren't supposed to eat this stuff - it isn't "healthy". Notice all the fit, gentile guys croak at 45? The old Jewish guys (who eat Pastrami everyday in Ruebens) live to be 94. Pass the Pastrami.

3. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'll be interested to see the finished Qview. So many things to try, so little time![​IMG]

4. meat-man

meat-man Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

looking good brother can't wait for the rest of the q-view

5. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

nice ron-allie asking I do that-soon

6. okie joe

okie joe Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

How to keep a good butcher.... tip him....When you get a good ,butcher ,,,...man keep him...happy. I buy about 20 to 30 full pork loin from my butcher (retail at first and wholsale last 10 years) each week in the May for ren fair,,Conssion stand I work makeing pork sammys $5.50 a sammy, grilled mushroom. bell pepper, Onion. and their choise of cheese. that is about 100 to 150 pork loin for the month of May...if im in a bind and he helps me out any where from $25.00 to $ 50.00 tip...and to day when i walked up to counter to buy my buffalo,,, he had a little something extra for me in thanking me at labor day.

7. smokin365

smokin365 Smoking Fanatic

Cant wait to see the finished product!

8. ronp

Thats funny.

9. ronp

After 24 hour marinadade.

[​IMG]

I drained a bit and added more Webers pepper marinade dry.

More to come in part 2.

Thanks for watching.

Ron