Ready for first smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

siggydo

Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Going for the first smoke!
icon_eek.gif
I read some place about mustard on a pork shoulder before the rub. Has anyone tried this on baby backs or will I need this. THANKS for the help

Yes, I have. It allows the rub to stay on a bit better but it will not impart any mustard flavor in the end product.

Good luck on your first smoke!

Ba_Loko has it going on. It's the same for cuts of beef too, I've even let it sit for 6-8 hours w/mustard and then add the rub. Always good!

You can put a thin coat of mustard, then your rub and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight if you like.

I just lay ribs out on the counter and apply the rub to one side and let them sit for 5-10 mins. then flip and rub the second side. The rub will form kind of wet paste that will stay on the ribs very well. You can then wrap and refridgerate or smoke either one. This will work for a butt or anything else and will also allow you to apply another coat of rub if you wish. (double-rubbed)

Most cooks that use mustard say you can't taste it, can't see it, and can't smell it after the cook. If that's the case then why use it? You can definately gain rub adhesion and bark without it.

I'm with Chad. I've never used it and never felt the need to. Rubs have always adhered well to to the ribs or shoulders I've smoked and no problem getting a nice bark without it.

I use the mustard and then the rub. You can use many things to help with the adhesion...evoo, pam, etc. but mustard is the most common one that I know of. And like several members stated, you can also rub with just the rub. All a matter of personal preferance.

Because of this site I am going to try mustard as a "glue" on my ribs for the first time this weekend.

I will try anything once, but until I try it I don't know if I can believe you cannot taste any trace of the mustard. Is this true?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky