Re-Heat/finishing ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigshmoke

Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
I am going to a tailgate party on Saturday morning, but I wont have time to smoke my ribs that day. I am doing St. Louis style spare ribs (8 racks). I am planning 3-2-1 them on Friday night.

I was thinking about keeping them in the foil and cool them down on Friday (skip the 1 hour after foiling), then just carefully put them on the smoker Saturday an hour before serving and finish them.

or should I put them 3 on the smoke -2 in the foil -1/2 on the smoke just put a little bark on them on Friday- And warm/finish them saturday.

Or if anyone knows a good way to re-heat ribs that doesnt dry them out- I will have a smoker and a grill at the tailgate (gotta have my fatties)

I would forget 3-2-1 and just smoke them for till I got good pull back on the bone. At this point cool them down quickly. The morning you are going to serve them have a grill ready and grill indirect until hot (sauce towards the end, just long enough to set sauce). The grilling will tenderize the ribs the rest of the way.

Might work, not sure about the grill tenderizing though. I would tend to do a 3-1 to maybe a 1.5 in the foil, then re-warm on the grill. Alot of time even 3-2 has the ribs already done. Good luck.

When doing vending we have used this method, the object is to get the ribs to 85 to 90% done and cooled. If you cook them to tender then the heating phase can and most often does take the texture to mushy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky