Re-Freezing pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meat hunter

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Ok, after checking the web, I'm getting both answers to my question. I have several pounds of pork meat and trimming in the freezer. I want to know if it is safe to thaw it and then re-freeze it. Some will be smoked, so I don't think that will be an issue, but some will be made into fresh breakfast sausage. That is the one that concerns me. Whats your take on it?

I think this cut and paste from the reference above is pretty clear:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Refreezing
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking,
although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through defrosting. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.
-------------------------------------------------------------

In fact, I've bookmarked that bulletin, because there's also other good information contained in it.

Thanks for that Dave, I wasn't sure either if it was a good practice.

On a side note, I "think" we are supposed to post where we get our info from when copy/paste ing info like that.

Yes, it is ok to refreeze pork after processing it into sausage, as long as you practiced good sanitary and temperature controls to avoid bacteria buildup. Plus, if your sausage contains salt, as most do, this is an added preservatve also.
In all reality, most pork you purchase has been either 'hard-chilled' or previously frozen. 'Hard-chilled' is bringing temps in the pork down to 32°, firming it to barely frozen to retard bacteria growth while transporting from plant to packer to retail store.
Also, freezing pork for 30 days at -10° below 0° or lower 'certifies' the pork and will kill any trichnae embedded in the fat (trichnae don't imbed into the meat, just the fat) so freezing helps the pork. It is increasing bacteria counts that adversely affect the meat.

You're right, I needed to cite the source. My apologies to one and all.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/...g/index.asp#14

Refreezing
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking,
although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through defrosting. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.

You did site you reference.In your very first sentence.
wtf1.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky