Ran out of fuel midcook, restarted fire - what is the impact?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dsc106

Original poster
Jul 21, 2021
MB560 gravity, been checking on some pork shoulder every 1.5 hours or so. First time smoking so long and thought the fuel would last longer, noob mistake. Smoker was set for 230F.

At 1:30pm (5 hours in), IT was 165F.
At 3pm (6.5 hours in), IT was 175F.
At 4:30pm (8 hours in), IT was down to 160-165F and the smoker had dropped down to around 150F. Out of Charcoal.

I topped it off, relit with another firestarter. Temp is back up again.

Questions are:

1. I assume it's ok to have food in while using a natural firestarter square...? Or is there a food safety/carcinogen/dirty smoke issue with lighting those with food in?
2. Will the rollercoaster up/down/up on the meat negatively impact the final quality and result, as the meat drops and then reheats?
3. Did I just set the clock back to 1:30pm when I was originally at 165F, costing me several hours of cook time? Or will heating back up go quicker the second time?

I will watch fuel better in the future. only my second smoke. Oops. Also, gotta get that bluetooth app paired, but I was having connectivity issues trying to pair it and figured I'd set it up later. 2nd oops.

Thanks for the help :)

I doubt there would be any food safety issue, but I probably would have pulled the meat out until the firestarter was done and the temp was back up. I also doubt that you'll see a negative impact from the up and down temps. If anything I would crank the temp up to 275-300, but that is the range I always use for butts.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Just hang in there and cook to your final temp goal. If the IT didn't drop below 140 I'd think you are good to go, just behind schedule. If it is a natural fire starter than should not be any harm done. Been there done that, with good results.

So my packaging on the side says “ATTENTION! Do not start cooking until charcoal has a coating of ash and firelighter has burned completely”.

Even though it’s supposedly an all natural non toxic fire starter?

This is the one I used:

Grill Trade Fire Starter Squares 144, Easy Burn Your BBQ Grill, Camping Fire, Wood Stove, Smoker Pellets, Lump Charcoal, Fireplace - Fire Cubes are The Best Barbeque Accessories - 100% All Natural

Reactions: forktender
Apologies for the multi-posts… one other consideration is that it had already been on for 8 hours so I suppose the bark/crust might be enough to prevent very much absorption from anything in the firestarter?

The Firestarter is made of pinewood wool and natural waxes. Not Toxic but may impart an Off Flavor...JJ

So my packaging on the side says “ATTENTION! Do not start cooking until charcoal has a coating of ash and firelighter has burned completely”.

Even though it’s supposedly an all natural non toxic fire starter?

This is the one I used:

Grill Trade Fire Starter Squares 144, Easy Burn Your BBQ Grill, Camping Fire, Wood Stove, Smoker Pellets, Lump Charcoal, Fireplace - Fire Cubes are The Best Barbeque Accessories - 100% All Natural
The fire cube is all-natural, odorless, made from organic products, "NON TOXIC" fire starter. Ideal lighter for indoor and outdoor use.

You're good bro, don't sweat it!!!:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

You would've been better off starting some coals in a chimney and dumped them, instead of what you did, but to late now!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky