Raisins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Smoked a box of raisins today, just because I felt like it.

Spread them out on a screen, cold smoked with hickory for about hour and a half.

Nice flavor.

will vacuum seal them for hunting season deer blind snack.

Reactions: gmc2003
That sounds tasty, and the shelf life should be very good. The flavor profile would lend itself to pemmican sticks. I use dried cherries or cranberries in mine, with ground jerky and beef fat. I'll try smoked raisins next time. Thanks for the thought !

Reactions: bill ace 350
purple. no pictures. not a big project, just did it.

siege, I'd be interested in your pemmican recipe and process if you're willing to share.

Smoking raisins - never heard of that before. Glad they taste good.

Point for a 1st
Chris

Reactions: bill ace 350
siege, I'd be interested in your pemmican recipe and process if you're willing to share.

I have a basic recipe, but have never made it the same way twice. I am the most picky about the fat I use. Most very lean meat works, including really cheap, tough beef, deer, elk, or antelope. Trim all the fat and silverside from the meat.
Dry lightly seasoned meat to get 2# of very dry meat. When I make jerky, I take the jerky out, and leave a few pounds of meat to continue drying. Let it dry to where it cracks or breaks when you try to bend it. Grind the meat to a powder. I use a lava molcajete, but a food processor would probably work better.( And be much easier )
Render down about a pound of good hard white fat. Heat the fat to where it simmers, then strain out any impurities, I use layered cheese cloth. Get all the moisture out of the fat, like making ghee.
Pound or grind 2 Cups of dried fruit ( cranberries, raisins, dates, apricots, etc), mix with the meat powder, and add enough very hot fat to be able to form into a firm brick. Knead in options, like a Tablespoon of honey, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, or unsalted slivered almonds. Press down into a pan to about an inch thick rectangle. When cool enough to handle, cut into 2 inch squares, and vacuum seal.
They should be shelf stable without refrigeration for months if you get all the moisture out. I keep mine in the freezer til ready to use.

I have a basic recipe, but have never made it the same way twice. I am the most picky about the fat I use. Most very lean meat works, including really cheap, tough beef, deer, elk, or antelope. Trim all the fat and silverside from the meat.
Dry lightly seasoned meat to get 2# of very dry meat. When I make jerky, I take the jerky out, and leave a few pounds of meat to continue drying. Let it dry to where it cracks or breaks when you try to bend it. Grind the meat to a powder. I use a lava molcajete, but a food processor would probably work better.( And be much easier )
Render down about a pound of good hard white fat. Heat the fat to where it simmers, then strain out any impurities, I use layered cheese cloth. Get all the moisture out of the fat, like making ghee.
Pound or grind 2 Cups of dried fruit ( cranberries, raisins, dates, apricots, etc), mix with the meat powder, and add enough very hot fat to be able to form into a firm brick. Knead in options, like a Tablespoon of honey, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, or unsalted slivered almonds. Press down into a pan to about an inch thick rectangle. When cool enough to handle, cut into 2 inch squares, and vacuum seal.
They should be shelf stable without refrigeration for months if you get all the moisture out. I keep mine in the freezer til ready to use.

Appreciate it.
If I get a deer this year, I'm going to try it.
Do you add cure to your meat when drying, or take it to a certain temperature?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky