Qview test with a gorgeous butt....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rxguy

Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
pork butt that is....ha

I generally give them a rub down, and onto the smoke for at least 3 hours straight, take it off, into an aluminum pain with very tight foil, and into a 300* oven for another 3-4hrs.

After it rests a bit, it generally falls apart with a few forks and looks like so...

looks good.......have you ever thought about leaving it on the smoker for longer?

yes, but never have. is there a huge difference in taste? I smoke the way I do only because that's how I was taught....maybe I should leave it in longer next time. how long though?

Also, to be honest...It's so convenient to just have it in 3 hours...all that babying the wood, checking and re-checking...AHHHH! it gets to me sometimes

Yes, you have to at least try and do one all the way in the smoker. Put in in the smoker with your wood of choice and cook until the internal temperature of the meat is around 165*F with the smoker running somewhere between 225* and 250*F. Then wrap it in foil and add a little apple juice in the foil. Then put it back on the smoker and let it go until the internal temperature of the meat hits 200*-205*F. Then take it off the smoker and set it into a clean, dry cooler and fill the dead air space with a few towels, a blanket, whatever. And let it set there for at least an hour. Then take it out of the cooler and the foil (save the liquid) and it'll just practically fall apart.

Now take that liquid and chill it. The fat will rise to the surface. Skim that off and toss it. Add the rest of the liquid back into the pulled pork. Add a finishing sauce if you'd like. If you never have, you should really try that too.

Right now you're just starting to get effect of the smoke on the meat. Let that baby go and you'll be in Pulled Pork heaven.

Oh, and don't forget the qview.

I have always started and finished my mine on the smoker and I haven't yet finished in the oven.

Interesting. But after it's wrapped in foil, you're pretty much just wasting wood right? That was my theory anyways....smoke doesn't get through foil, so what's the difference between that and foiling in the oven....?
icon_wink.gif

alot of folks dont foil the butt(or any pork) when its on the smoker, I only foil a butt once its done(195-200 internal) and resting in a cooler waiting to be pulled.

interesting. my only concern with finishing it in the smoker, with and without foil is it drying out. I've had pulled pork at a few BBQ places and none of them are worth a damn. Mine is extremely juicy, and is pulled right in the juices from the meat that are in the aluminum pan after it finishes in the oven, usually at least an inch of juice. Does yours have a dry texture when pulled?

I've never had one dry out on me. butts have a lot of fat it's hard to get them dry.

I always take mine to 170 then wrap in foil with a little apple juice until they hit 205 and man are they ever juicy.

Nope, I inject my butts, and then let it rest in foil and in a cooler for a few hours before pulling. I have 2 butts about to come off in about 45 minutes, go check out that thread.

good luck with whatever method you use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky