Quite the weekend...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jspryor

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Omaha, NE
Just thought I would share the story of my smoke this weekend...

I am cooking for two parties...friend's birthday party and block party. Pulled pork for both and a 10# box of featherbones for the birthday.

I started six butts last night at about 7pm in a home-made cinder block pit we have at our lake 30 minutes outside of town. Things were going well through the 3am check. At 4am I was stunned to discover the fire was out.

Unprepared (bad boy scout) to start another fire I began checking on the meat. Internal temp was 60 degrees per my thermometer which I couldn't reconcile because the pit was still much warmer, the fire had not been hour for more than an hour and it was warm outside. Quickly I foiled the butts, packed up and headed home.

After the 30 minute drive I was much more awake and realized when I got home that my thermometer was on Celsius...what a relief. Now knowing the butts were 140 F I finished the them in my oven and pulled after they (and me) rested a while.

The featherbones were much less eventful.

You know, messing up something you are cooking for yourself is one thing...but when you screw something up for someone else about makes you sick.

Cheers folks!
da6636e3_vbattach21675.jpg

f033204b_vbattach21676.jpg

Glad the butts were ok. Always hated that most thermos come with Celsius as the default.
I have to give you points for the dedication and the fact you had to pack up early in the am and make the 30 minute trek home.
The things we will do for some good smoked meat...
Pics look great by the way. Nice job!

Glad things work out for you. The featherbones are they short ribs maybe a guess.

Here are the pics of the pit and the piece of wood I throw on top of it. When I took the pictures I was just re-heating some PP.

Turned one of the blocks on its side can plug holes to control the air flow.
bd9f31d6_vbattach21707.jpg

7401cf95_vbattach21708.jpg

2228f8e3_vbattach21709.jpg

2fa8442d_vbattach21710.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky