quick question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcp9

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Foley, AL
the more i look at yall cooked briskets, the more i want to do one. my question is, what is the difference in a brisket and a big steak? most likely comes from a different part of the cow, but more explanation is needed. thanks.

Think of the brisket as the front axle of the cow. Right between the front legs. Its a very well worked cut, muscular and tough. Steaks on the other hand are from different areas and have various degrees of fat and muscle, making them range from tender to very tender when cooked.

Low and slow is prefered for the brisket because only time will loosen the connective fibers in the meat producing an edible and tender finished product.

The other thing to remember on a brisket is cutting the meat. Since it's a tougher piece of meat to begin with you need to slice it at a right angle to the grain of the meat.

You will get a much more tender piece of meat rahter than cutting with the grain.

If I didnt think I would be in divorce court after....I would smoke at least one Brisket a week..
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

Thats some good eats!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky