Quick question about pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thomaswalls

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
If i smoke a butt for pulled pork the hot and fast way, say between 325-350, should i use a mop? If so, how often should i mop it so i dont dry it out yet still get bark?

Wouldn't hurt to mop it and maintain some moisture. Never done a hot and fast butt myself so I'm giving advice just on instinct, lol. If it were me, every 30 mins to 45 give it a bath. As long as you watch your IT yoy shouldn't run into any issues of drying out. Hell, it'll probably create a nice bark! Good luck and keep us posted:)

Last edited:
Well, its 11am and we are 4 hours into the cook. I just checked the meat and its chugging along at 160 F now. I havent mopped yet but i noticed around the top vent moisture is collecting so im assuming its plenty moist in the smoker. Ill try and post pics when done

Well, its 11am and we are 4 hours into the cook. I just checked the meat and its chugging along at 160 F now. I havent mopped yet but i noticed around the top vent moisture is collecting so im assuming its plenty moist in the smoker. Ill try and post pics when done
I never found it Necessary to mop Butts in my MES Smoker.

Butts are plenty fatty & loaded with moisture.

And when you open the door you let more moisture out than your mopping is adding to it.

Here's my Step by Step:

Pulled Boston Pork Butt         

Bear

Last edited:
Yeah ive smoked plenty of butts before. I just never did one at 300+, all mine were done at 225. Im using an el cheapo until i can save up enough cash for a wsm.

Oven Roasting Pork Butts at 325 to 350°F is extremely common. No reason to expect smoking at these temps would make for dry meat. Remember each time opening the door adds 20-30 minutes to the cook time...JJ

Awesome, thanks everyone for the tips. Almost noon and its still 160, sigh. I hate this part lol

Awesome, thanks everyone for the tips. Almost noon and its still 160, sigh. I hate this part lol
Sounds like you're opening your door to check the temp.

That will add time to catch up too, and opening the door too often can Dry out a piece of meat.

If that's the case, you should think about getting a digital wireless set of Therms, like the Maverick ET-732.

With that you can monitor both the Smoker Temp & the Interior Meat Temp without opening the door.

Bear

Last edited:
If you are cooking hot and fast there is no need to mop and you do not need to check the temp until the butt has been cooking for at least 5 hours. For an 8 pound butt I will check the IT after 6 hours of cook time at 325°. YMMV. Good Luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky